View as an RSS Feed
View ValueArtifex's Articles BY TICKER:
AAWW, ALTV, AM-OLD, AMIC, AP, ARTNA, BBGI, BELFB, BGS, BPOP, BTF, BURCA, BWINB, CAP, CFNB, CHE, CHRW, CMP, CPWR, CRD.B, CRWN, CSS, CSV, CTWS, CWCO, CWT, DFZ, DGICA, DGICB, DJCO, ELSE, EMMS, ERIE, ETM, FBAK, FWRD, FWV, GCBC, GEF, GPIC, GTI, GWR, GYRO, HCKT, HE, HLSS, HMN, JRN, KCLI, KKR, KNM, KOP, LARK, LEG, LG, LOJN, LSBK, LXU, MATW, MATX, MDP, MLR, MSA, NL, NRIM, NSEC, NTDOY, NULM, NWN, OTTR, PBHC, PLBC, PWX, QLGC, RAIL, RBCAA, ROL, SAL, SALM, SBSI, SGA, SJW, SLGN, SLP, SMBC, SMG, SNE, SPAN, SSBI, SSP, STFC, SUP, SVT, SWM, TACT, TE, TKR, TR, TRBAA, UTL, VLY, WAFD, WDFC, WGL, WTM, WTR, XOXO, Y, YHOO, YORW
New Ulm Telecom: This Obscure Regional Telecom Offers Cheapness, Yield And An Embedded Catalyst
- New Ulm Telecom, an obscure regional telecommunications company, furnishes investors with a favorable risk/reward profile and attractive dividend yield.
- Investors enjoy downside protection through the cheapness of shares, which are priced significantly below book and the essential nature of the company's business.
- A wave of consolidation is sweeping through small-cap telecom in recent years, raising the possibility of New Ulm being taken out in the near-to-medium term.
- A similar situation currently unfolding with another regional telecom, the LICT Corporation, indicates significant upside potential should a bid emerge from an acquiring party.
- Should New Ulm Telecom be acquired at book value, investors at current prices will enjoy over 50% upside in addition to dividends.
Alteva: After Rejecting A Buyout Offer, This Cash Rich Microcap Is Worth A Look
- Alteva, a microcap telecommunications company, was recently approached by a private equity group to be acquired at $8 per share, an offer it rejected as being too low.
- Alteva is currently offered below book value with a huge cash position and almost no debt, furnishing investors with a significant margin of safety.
- Investors have an embedded call option in the form of a higher bid from the Juniper Investment Company another TelCo operating in the Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) sector.
- Even if the company is not acquired, Alteva's management has authorized a share repurchase program and is well positioned to deploy capital or return it to shareholders.
- The operating fundamentals of the company's unified communications business are also steadily improving and will provide a substantial catalyst to the company's share price once it returns to profitability.
E.W Scripps: An Upcoming Merger Makes This Company Attractive To Special Situations Investors
- The E.W Scripps Company recently announced an agreement to merge with Journal Communications via a stock swap.
- In a relatively unusual transaction, the two companies will combine their broadcasting assets and distribute their publishing assets to shareholders in the form of a newly spun out company.
- After E.W Scripps sheds its publishing assets, the company will enjoy an improved growth profile as it is able to focus on higher margin broadcasting operations with less regulatory encumbrance.
- Shareholders of both companies will receive a debt free publishing company, the Journal Media Group, focusing on local newspapers. Additionally, E.W Scripps shareholders will also receive a special cash dividend.
Lake Shore Bancorp: Monitor This Attractively Priced Regional For Value & Second-Step Conversion Potential
- With zero analyst coverage, Lake Shore Bancorp is likely to engage in the "Second-Step" of a thrift conversion in the near to medium term due to prevailing industry dynamics.
- Having completed the "First-Step" of the demutualization process, the company will likely offer the remainder of its mutually held shares in a "Second-Step" offering to complete the thrift conversion.
- Often ignored by the mainstream investing community, thrift conversions offer upside and limited downside risk due to the simplicity and conservative balance sheets of regional banks.
- Patient investors at current prices are positioned to benefit significantly from many potential catalysts over the long term as Lake Shore Bancorp accesses capital from demutalizing.
- Even if a Second-Step offering does not manifest in the near to medium term, upside is likely due to the bank's improving operating fundamentals.
Meredith Corporation: Niche Brands, Strong Local Media Presence And Shareholder Orientation Make This Company Worth Watching
- The Meredith Corporation offers investors a combination of brand value, dividend yield and growth potential.
- The company has proven itself adaptable to the changing media landscape by focusing on local broadcast media and investing in digital assets in addition to its strong portfolio of publications.
- As other media companies shed broadcasting assets, Meredith is situated to benefit from the fallout as the company can acquire broadcasting assets with less regulatory oversight from the FCC.
- Management has taken steps to maintain the value proposition of the company's magazine titles through the "Meredith Sales Guarantee," a program designed to provide a guaranteed RoI to advertisers.
- Growth in local broadcasting assets and digital consumption of the company's publication portfolio, combined with measures taken to preserve the value of the company's print business makes this company attractive.
TransAct Technologies: After A Sell-Off, Investors Have A Great Opportunity To Own This Debt-Free 4% Yielder
- After a heavy sell-off earlier this month an underfollowed microcap, TransAct Technologies, is now on sale.
- Recent selling can be attributed to the market's misunderstanding of the company's product cycle and investments in new sectors of business.
- TransAct is debt-free and offers investors a dividend yield over 4% which has been increased twice since being initiated a year and a half ago.
- Management has also recently engaged in massive share repurchases, with a new $7.5 million share repurchase program announced producing an extremely favorable Total Shareholder Return profile.
- Investors at current prices stand to benefit over the next year from the company's investment in new product deployment and will enjoy higher per share earnings due to share repurchases.
Northrim BanCorp: Making All The Right Moves That The Market Won't Be Able To Ignore For Much Longer
- Northrim enjoys a high quality asset base, advantageous market position, strong returns on assets (RoA) and is offered to investors at an attractive valuation.
- Over the past year, the company's management has taken significant steps towards franchise building through two acquisitions, expanding the company's geographic footprint and revenue base.
- Northrim's acquisition of the remaining equity of Residential Mortgage is both low-risk and will significantly increase the earnings power of the company in the years to come.
- While Northrim remains attractive as a standalone business, its large market share in Alaska relative to its size makes it an attractive candidate for acquisition at a premium.
- Investors currently have the opportunity to purchase a quality, growing business largely ignored by the investing public at a fair price.
Gaming Partners International: A Company With A Strong Balance Sheet Putting Cash To Work In A Hot Sector
- A global company, Gaming Partners is situated to benefit macro trends including the growing popularity of gambling in Asia as well as more casinos opening in the United States.
- Gaming Partners owns attractive brand assets and has a strong presence in numerous niche gaming markets including casino currency, dice and playing cards.
- With zero debt and a large cash position, Gaming Partners International is reasonably priced in an expensive market, raising the possibilities of a near to medium term catalyst.
- The gaming sector has experienced significant M&A interest recently, with a fund known for small and micro-cap buyouts owning a significant stake in Gaming Partners.
- The company has begun deploying excess capital through acquisitions and is situated to benefit from further consolidating niche markets and organic growth.
Exploring Asset Separation After Activist Pressure, LSB Industries Deserves A Spot On Your Watch List
- The management of LSB Industries is exploring a separation of the company's Chemicals and Climate Control divisions.
- If separated, the "conglomerate discount" will be gradually resolved by market forces as the market is able to independently value the business units on a separate basis.
- The company's Chemicals division is subject to commodity price fluctuations, and requires substantial capital expenditure, potentially stifling the true value of the Climate Control unit.
- Due to the phenomenon of forced selling in the aftermath of a spin-off, investors will also likely have the opportunity to make bargain purchases on near-term volatility.
- Management is exploring placing Chemical assets into an MLP structure, promising investors significant income potential, should a spin-off occur.
First West Virginia: 4.4% Yield, Priced Below Book, Takeout Potential -This Regional Deserves Attention
- With zero analyst coverage, First West Virginia is a rare bargain that offers yield, cheapness, safety and an embedded catalyst.
- With a "Fortress-Like" Tier 1 Capital Ratio of over 20%, the bank is conservatively managed and offers a high margin of safety to risk averse investors.
- The company's cheap valuation and high capital ratio make it a take-out target for a larger regional bank which can better deploy First West Virginia's "pent-up" capital.
- Observation of recent comparable deals indicate a 30% to 40% premium to book should the bank merge with a peer or be acquired by a larger regional nearby.
- Investors are paid to wait as the bank enjoys both high insider ownership and amply rewards shareholders through both growing cash and periodic stock dividends.
CSS Industries: Cash-Heavy, Debt-Free And Below Book, This Company Deserves Attention In An Expensive Market
- The recent decline in the share price of CSS Industries provides risk averse investors a substantial opportunity in an expensive market.
- The company carries no debt and nearly half of its market capitalization is in cash.
- The company is in the process of repositioning its assets, having divested unprofitable segments and making complimentary acquisitions.
- Because of this cheap valuation, investors are positioned to benefit in the near term through multiple potential catalysts including a special dividend or take-private.
- In the long term, investors can expect earnings growth as the company puts cash to work and repositions assets.
State Auto Financial Corporation: Attractively Priced, Moving Towards Profitable Underwriting And A Little Something Extra For Investors
- Close to book value, shares of this insurer offer value in an expensive market.
- After shuttering unprofitable areas of business, management is returning the company to profitable underwriting.
- As the company returns to profitable underwriting, investors can expect growth of book value and dividend increases in the medium term.
- With a majority of the company's shares controlled through a mutual structure, there is significant potential for a special situation known as a "mutualization" to occur.
- Should the company mutualize, minority shareholders will be taken out at a premium, as the company effectively takes itself private.
Ampco-Pittsburgh: Sporting A Low Valuation With Numerous Potential Catalysts, A Special Situation Is Taking Shape
- Noted value investor Mario Gabelli has accumulated a significant stake in Ampco-Pittsburgh, a small industrial company lacking analyst coverage.
- The large cash holdings and minimal debt of the company paves the way for several catalysts, including massive share repurchases or a Go-Private transaction.
- Ampco-Pittsburgh is also a candidate for a spin-off to unlock value due to diverse operating segments.
Banco Popular: Trading Under Par, The Preferred Stock Of This Regional Bank Is Attractive
- Banco Popular, a regional bank serving Puerto Rico and portions of the mainland United States, is in the process of repositioning itself.
- An outstanding issue of the company's Trust Preferred Securities offers nearly an 8% yield with cumulative protection and currently trades below par value.
- Other regional banks have proactively redeemed similar types of high interest securities in order to take advantage of historically low interest rates.
- Should Popular call back its Trust Preferred Securities at par, investors will receive nearly a 19% capital gain in addition to an almost 8% annual yield at current prices.
- As Popular sheds assets, redeploys capital and repays TARP money, its preferred stock will also appreciate closer to par value to reflect this improving financial position.
Beasley Broadcast Group: After A Pullback, This Underfollowed Name In Terrestrial Radio Merits Attention
- The recent decline in the share price of the Beasley Broadcast Group provides investors with an opportunity in an unloved sector often ignored by investors.
- Terrestrial Radio remains an attractive industry due to robust free cash flow and a strongly entrenched local presence.
- Due to high free cash flow, dividend increases and share repurchases are likely outcomes in the near to medium term.
- The founding family and Mario Gabelli, a renowned Value Investor, hold over 65% of the company, raising the possibility of a liquidity event such as a go-private.
Pathfinder Bancorp: This Unfolding Special Situation Offers Investors Substantial Upside With Limited Risk
- An under-followed regional bank with zero analyst coverage, Pathfinder Bancorp announced it intends to initiate the "second step" of a process known as a Thrift Conversion.
- Often ignored by large institutions and mainstream investors, Thrift Conversions promise investors significant upside and little downside risk due to the simplicity and conservative nature of regional savings institutions.
- A long time favorite of investors including Peter Lynch and Seth Klarman, Thrift Conversions are enjoying a resurgence as post-crisis regulation alters the dynamics of the banking industry.
National Security Group: After Years Of Difficulty, This Insurer Is Turning The Corner
- National Security Group is finally turning the corner after years of headwinds including natural disasters and litigation.
- The company is now positioned to benefit from more disciplined underwriting and deferred tax assets generated from the settlement of a lawsuit.
- Shares of the company are trading at a significant discount to book value, offering investors a chance at a bargain purchase.
- The company is not covered by any analysts on Wall Street despite being attractively valued.
C.H. Robinson Worldwide: Trading At Multi-Year Lows, This High Quality Company Is Now On Sale And Merits Attention
- C.H. Robinson Worldwide is known as a "Best of Breed" logistics company.
- Shares of C.H. Robinson Worldwide are currently trading near four-year lows.
- The company is positioned to benefit from tailwinds including regulatory changes in the transportation industry.
- Home Loan Servicing Solutions: This Complicated Business Is Worth Understanding
- R.G Barry: The Current Spread Between A Buyout Offer Provides Potential For A 'Home Run'
- Genesee & Wyoming: Benefiting From Regulation, Acquisitions, And Oil By Rail
- The Daily Journal Corporation: Recent Hype Around The Company's Marketable Securities Obscures Quiet Expansion Into Legal Software
- White Mountains Insurance: High Quality Capital Allocator Available At A Discount
- Providence & Worcester Railroad: Situated To Benefit From New Regulations, This Small Railroad With A Strong Balance Sheet Merits Attention
- Salisbury Bancorp: Trading Under Book, This Multi-State Regional With A Healthy Dividend Merits Attention
- NL Industries: Large Holdings Of Marketable Securities And A Change Of Control Event Make This Company Interesting
- Emmis Communications: The Pending Resolution Of This Special Situation Paves The Way For A Liquidity Event
- R.G Barry: A Buyout Might Be Coming - Here Is What Investors Need To Know
- KKR Financial: Use The Subsidiary To Get A Discount On The Parent
- The Timken Company: Watch This Unfolding Spin-Off Situation For 2014
- The XO Group: Strong Balance Sheet And Niche Market Exposure Make This Stock Interesting
- Leggett & Platt: This High Quality Company Is Now Attractively Priced And Deserves Attention