Vash Patel

View Vash Patel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • CES 2014 Reinforces Bull Run In Corning [View article]
    When I said the technologies are not new, I should have clarified that we've seen them before--they were at last year's CES, and also the year before. We knew they were inevitably getting ready for the market.

When I say they are only going to be adopted by beta testers, I mean that this will be the first stream of mainstream users (sort of like Tesla's first generation of customers).

The problem with comparing 3D and 4K with 1080p is that it's not quite as big a leap forward. When we went from 360p and 480p to 1080p, there was a clear and immediately visible difference, it was like you finally bought a pair of prescription glasses after being myopic for years. Technically, going from 1080p to 4K should be an even bigger upgrade, but in reality, the human eye can just barely see the difference under normal viewing distances. This is the issue with these new technologies--the opportunity cost of replacing your current TV with a brand new one is simply to high for what you're getting in return.

I'm focusing my comments on 4K because most manufacturers are beginning to give up on 3D. It's been tried several times, starting with movie theaters in the 90s, only to disappoint. People are not buying into the 3D tech.
    Jan 18, 2014. 01:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CES 2014 Reinforces Bull Run In Corning [View article]
    I'm not familiar with what GLW has in the way of commercial technology (at least, as far as display technologies are concerned) so it's hard for me to give you an honest opinion. Still, my point was that the author of this article is making a recommendation on the basis that a new wave of TV technologies will help Corning bring in more revenues.

This is simply false because, as you said, brand new technologies are limited to the 1% crowd for quite some time. These early adopters are not going to drive the revenues for any company, they're simply the "beta testers," if you will.
    Jan 16, 2014. 12:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • CES 2014 Reinforces Bull Run In Corning [View article]
    You talk at length about the new TV technologies (admittedly, neither 3D, nor 4K are new), but how does either really affect Corning? Simply put, people will be buying curved (or 3D) televisions with GLW glass rather than regular HD TVs with GLW glass--there's no impact on the bottom line whatsoever unless a significant number of people who would not have bought a new TV are brought to do so because of the new technologies.
    Jan 15, 2014. 10:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Long-Term Picks For Big Data Investors: SanDisk (Part 1) [View article]
    It looks like VNAND is Samsung's 3D NAND solution, if I'm not mistaken. If that's the case, SanDisk seems to be well aware of the threat and is working on their own form of the technology:

Dec 5, 2013. 09:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Long-Term Picks For Big Data Investors: SanDisk (Part 1) [View article]
    That is an issue I overlooked, so thanks for bringing it up. However, after a quick Google search, it looks like that was a problem for SSDs when they first became popular and the life span has been increasing with each passing technological generation of the devices. I couldn't find a reliable source for this so I can't provide a link but logic dictates that as time passes, SSDs will improve, as do all technologies.
    Dec 5, 2013. 09:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Long-Term Picks For Big Data Investors: SanDisk (Part 1) [View article]
    Thanks Anthony!
    Dec 3, 2013. 11:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla - Reality Is Beginning To Set In [View article]
    If your argument as to why the younger generation won't be buying these vehicles stands correct ("young set is just now becoming aware that their financial futures are wrecked by student loans, Obamacare, and the dead-slow growth of an erratic economy"), I'm afraid the pessimism shouldn't just be limited to Tesla.

If these things will limit the sales of a middle-class priced Tesla vehicle, it's likely we should be shorting more than a few companies that sell slightly (or significantly, depending on who you ask) overpriced toys.
    Nov 12, 2013. 06:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Apple's A7 Chip Reveals Dangerous Trend [View article]
    No, but software optimization does not trump actual raw processing power.
    Sep 25, 2013. 10:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Apple's A7 Chip Reveals Dangerous Trend [View article]
    Great article Sacha. One thing I wanted to point out was that the benchmarks, in this case, are a bit misleading. Apple's chips usually test well because they are made to be compatible to a very specific array of hardware--they're only used in the Apple product they were designed for so they can be optimized to benchmark well.

Chips for Android phones (and I believe Windows phones) are designed to work with a wider array of hardware. Even if they are integrated into the motherboard, for example, the chip manufacturers are unlikely to design a new chip for each different type of phone they produce. For example, if Samsung sells 10 different models of smartphones, they would likely design 2 or 3 chips and integrate them onto the phones as they see fit. This means that benchmarks would not perform as well as they would if Samsung spent all year working on only one phone.

At the end of the day, Apple's A7 chip is unlikely to be more powerful than the rest. It's just that the software is optimized to work well on it.

None of that actually goes against your conclusion that integration is the future, but I wanted to clarify.
    Sep 25, 2013. 05:35 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Under-Covered Stocks Worth A Look [View article]
    I apologize for the oversight David. Thanks for correcting me!
    Aug 13, 2013. 04:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Undervalued Dividend Paying Financials Attractive For Earnings Growth [View article]
    Thanks, I'm still learning also!
    Mar 26, 2013. 02:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Better In The Long Term: Dividend Superstars Or SPY? [View instapost]
    David,

No problem and I appreciate you bringing to light that a lot of these are part of the S&P, that had not dawned on me (what a blatant error on my part). Anyway, my goal with this (and the reason for posting to instablog rather than as an SA article) was just to see if others could extend the research. I did not want to draw any conclusions from the very basic research I did on my own. I hope that clarifies my stance.
    Feb 19, 2013. 07:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Buy Cliffs Natural Resources: An Undervalued Dividend Stock [View article]
    Snoopbob, It's hard to tell what going to happen in 2013, in my opinion. I am holding on to this stock right now because I'm in for the long run (10+ years) but I'm not too sure what it will do in the next year or two. I had initially thought the divie was safe but obviously, I was wrong. I wouldn't look at this company as a dividend investment, I'd look at it as a value investment right now.
    Feb 18, 2013. 06:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Better In The Long Term: Dividend Superstars Or SPY? [View instapost]
    The totals for Div Stocks and SPY at the bottom of the data set are based on an initial investment of $91,000 ($1,000 per stock).
    Feb 14, 2013. 01:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bearish Case For American Eagle Outfitters: An Overvalued Dividend Stock [View article]
    Hope you don't disagree BECAUSE of past success! :)
    Feb 12, 2013. 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment