Vash Patel

View Vash Patel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Google: A Short-Term Options Play Based On Fundamentals And Technicals [View article]
    Sure. So we're using three contracts over all. We're going long 2 call contracts at strike price of $645. For that, we're paying $550 per contract of $1100 total. On the other leg, we're going short 1 contract for the $655 put and collecting a premium of $1450. So for the entire spread we're positive $350.
    Aug 11, 2012. 05:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Strategies For Facebook For Bears [View article]
    Early investors can't start selling until August 18th as per SEC IPO rules. Chances are a lot of them will flood the market during the week of the 19th.
    Aug 11, 2012. 05:21 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IRSA Investments and Representations: The High-Yield Small Cap You've Never Heard Of [View article]
    What's your opinion on TGS? Most people may think the author is off base but most people are often wrong so I try not to let that affect my personal opinion :)
    Aug 11, 2012. 05:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Strategies For Facebook For Bears [View article]
    I don't believe we have enough information to call out the death of FB but like I said in my article, I really believe they're going to go much lower before they start to come back to life. They need a drastic change in their business model which I firmly expect executives will bring about but not until they've been beaten down by the street,
    Aug 11, 2012. 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Strategies For Facebook For Bears [View article]
    Like I said to TAS, leave my age out of it. Other than that I'm open to any criticism. I haven't backtested this model because honestly, I have no idea how you would back test this option strategy that would give you a valid model for the situation Facebook is in.

As far as entry is concerned, I may rely a bit more on technicals and look for a swing high or a bounce off of a fib level. Not everyone likes technicals but that's my 2 cents.
    Aug 11, 2012. 05:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Strategies For Facebook For Bears [View article]
    You're dicounting someone's opinion because of age. I wrote this article because stocks and options interest me, as it says in my bio. I'm simply providing my opinion based on my experience. I would call you a fool to take everything I have at face value but everyone started somewhere.

This is an opinion on what I think is a good strategy. You may or may not agree and you have every right to take either side and I welcome any criticism but I don't see my age as a valid arguement.
    Aug 11, 2012. 05:01 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes it is. Downfalls of quick mental mathematics, stupid mistakes! Thanks for the correction.
    Aug 11, 2012. 12:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    To estimate the movement, I looked at the past few weeks of trading to see what kind of overall movements were happening and that's the basis for my $660 target. As with any technicals, there's room for error. I appreciate your opinion and look forward to seeing where it ends up though!
    Aug 10, 2012. 04:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Looks like I missed that. I'll gladly take back my comparison to MSFT but I'd like to point out that the general trend still stands for similar companies.
    Aug 10, 2012. 12:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    If IRS were to reinvest in Argentina, you may be giving up the dividend but in that case the P/B value would move even lower than it already is (it's already less than 1). If that happens, I expect the market to correct for it in the long term at which point you can take your profits.
    Aug 10, 2012. 11:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    After doing some research it looks like most of the nationalizing you're talking about is taking place with oil companies. I don't see any reason why a real estate business would be nationalized, but like any other investment there's always some risk.
    Aug 9, 2012. 12:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Open Letter To Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg [View article]
    IMO, most mobile users would opt out since they can just use it for free on their computers. I know I would. Also, this would mean that FB would have to do away with timeline ads on their mobile apps. Otherwise customers would wonder why they're paying a subscription fee even though FB is using it as an advertising platform.
    Jul 29, 2012. 05:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Open Letter To Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg [View article]
    You mean sort of like how Netflix started off at $8 for streaming+DVDs and then moved to $7 for streaming + $7 for DVDs? Customers aren't necessarily upset about the fact that they're paying several cents/month more for the service. They're upset because they feel Netflix betrayed their customers. And Netflix never even promised that they'd stay at $8 forever whereas Facebook promised on multiple occasions that it'd be free forever.
    Jul 29, 2012. 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Open Letter To Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg [View article]
    I think an annual fee may be a good way to raise short term revenue but looking at it from Zuckerberg's point of view, it's hardly a good idea overall. Right now, FB is adding new members annually. I think it'd be safe to assume that a fee would stop any new membership growth while also increasing the number of people turning over to something like Google Plus. The reason Plus didn't do so well is because it didn't provide anything significantly better than Facebook to entice users to make the switch. If you put a $20 fee on Facebook into the picture, Plus suddenly looks a lot more attractive to the "college kids and teens" (speaking as a college kid myself).

I'm not arguing that $20/yr is a lot for the service that Facebook provides (it's not), but I AM saying that where there's a free alternative that's just as good, people won't pay. I sign on to my Facebook maybe once a week and I just don't think I'd pay for that luxury (and nor would my friends).

For Zuckerberg to put a fee on FB is essentially him signing off on his own companies slow and painful death. What they should be doing to monetize their membership base is move into the mobile and online payment business. They have 950 mil users and even the ones that don't log in everyday may do so if they could use Facebook to do their online shopping. Think Paypal but with a much, much larger user base.
    Jul 29, 2012. 11:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple (AAPL): FQ3 EPS of $9.32 misses by $1.04. Revenue of $35B (+22% Y/Y) misses by $2.5B. 26M iPhones sold, 17M iPads, 4M Macs. Shares -5.5% AH. (PR).  [View news story]
    You bought half an iPad? .04 * 17 = .68