Vash Patel

View Vash Patel's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • 2 Strategies For Facebook For Bears [View article]
    Early investors can't start selling until August 18th as per SEC IPO rules. Chances are a lot of them will flood the market during the week of the 19th.
    Aug 11 05:21 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Strategies For Facebook For Bears [View article]
    You're dicounting someone's opinion because of age. I wrote this article because stocks and options interest me, as it says in my bio. I'm simply providing my opinion based on my experience. I would call you a fool to take everything I have at face value but everyone started somewhere.

This is an opinion on what I think is a good strategy. You may or may not agree and you have every right to take either side and I welcome any criticism but I don't see my age as a valid arguement.
    Aug 11 05:01 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Apple's A7 Chip Reveals Dangerous Trend [View article]
    Great article Sacha. One thing I wanted to point out was that the benchmarks, in this case, are a bit misleading. Apple's chips usually test well because they are made to be compatible to a very specific array of hardware--they're only used in the Apple product they were designed for so they can be optimized to benchmark well.

Chips for Android phones (and I believe Windows phones) are designed to work with a wider array of hardware. Even if they are integrated into the motherboard, for example, the chip manufacturers are unlikely to design a new chip for each different type of phone they produce. For example, if Samsung sells 10 different models of smartphones, they would likely design 2 or 3 chips and integrate them onto the phones as they see fit. This means that benchmarks would not perform as well as they would if Samsung spent all year working on only one phone.

At the end of the day, Apple's A7 chip is unlikely to be more powerful than the rest. It's just that the software is optimized to work well on it.

None of that actually goes against your conclusion that integration is the future, but I wanted to clarify.
    Sep 25 05:35 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 6 Most Popular Stocks Owned By Congress [View article]
    Interesting article. It sucks that politicians get sweetheart deals but it doesn't make sense for people to get worked up about it. Every single government in the world is a little bit corrupt. Some more than others but that's just the way it works out. People are always going to look out for #1 first and that leads to corruption. Why waste your breath fighting something that won't change. Why not just worry about your investments and how you can make money.
    Aug 17 04:04 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 6 Most Popular Stocks Owned By Congress [View article]
    Dag, I understand that it can be frustrating and I don't particularly blame you or anyone else for wanting things to change. What I meant to say is that I'd rather spend the time and effort into growing my capital and giving away a small percentage of it rather than risking little or no growth while I fight for fairness. I'm not saying you can't do both but it may be tough to be a political activist and an investor (especially if you have a day job on the side like most people).

It's safe to say neither one of us is wrong, it just comes down to your philosophy on government and it looks like I'm more of a pessimist (or you're more of an optimist) in that category!
    Aug 17 11:27 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research In Motion Options Strategy For BlackBerry 10 Release [View article]
    While it could be extremely rewarding if it works out, I don't think many people have the appetite to short Apple. I personally don't think Apple has much fuel left: http://bit.ly/RVqApQ but I wouldn't be caught dead shorting it. Maybe an options play with limited risk/reward.
    Aug 16 09:39 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Strategies For Facebook For Bears [View article]
    Thanks to Glenn and Iron Hamster for the encouragement. I write these articles because it helps me wrap my head around everything I talk about. No better way to learn than to do.
    Aug 12 12:59 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Strategies For Facebook For Bears [View article]
    Good commentary. I do agree that everyone should do their own homework but I think articles like this help more so than reading books. For example, I learned everthing I know about options simply by reading similar articles and then playing with the spreads. While it's not necessary to put real money at risk to do so, I think the only way to LEARN is to play with the options with something like a demo account. This article and others (that are similar) are just giving people a place to start.

Appreciate the thoughtful comment!
    Aug 11 05:57 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Strategies For Facebook For Bears [View article]
    I couldn't even tell what remurraymd was trying to say. I skip comments that don't seem to be in plain english. Thanks for the clarification.
    Aug 11 05:31 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting Cliffs Natural Resources: A Dividend Payer Set To Make A Comeback [View article]
    Hey James, thanks for the comment. I should have clarified but the industry is referring to basic materials, not just iron ore. The figures were obtained from OneSource Information Services.
    Jan 7 10:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Vs. Google: Which Should You Invest In? [View article]
    What's your reasoning behind shorting? Based on all proven valuations both Google and Apple are cheap. The only thing that would make them go downhill would be a decline in their revenues (which is possible, but the decline would be too slow to short).
    Sep 24 11:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Mark Zuckerberg Duped The Market [View article]
    I'm not sure I see a huge rally coming. 20 million new users barely makes a dent in Facebook's already massive user base. You also have to consider most Instagram users are mobile users which means that Facebook is adding 20 million users who will not increase revenue in any way!
    Sep 12 10:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Buy Cliffs Natural Resources: An Undervalued Dividend Stock [View article]
    I actually picked it up at $50 so I've already seen some loss but nothing that worries me. I don't see why this wouldn't be at $100 once the economy becomes more stable, especially considering they're on track with emerging market expansion.
    Aug 20 11:17 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 6 Most Popular Stocks Owned By Congress [View article]
    I think he meant it has never suffered a loss in a 20 yr period. So for example, it may have suffered a loss in the last recession (2008) but if you consider an investor who would have bought in in 1988, they still would have made a positive return after the sell-off.
    Aug 17 04:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Strategies For Facebook For Bears [View article]
    Like I said in the article, I'm not looking for what Facebook will do 2 or 3 years down the line. From my perspective, that's a straight gamble since there's not much data on the leadership's management abilities.
    Aug 13 01:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment