Vash Patel

View Vash Patel's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Research In Motion Options Strategy For BlackBerry 10 Release [View article]
    I don't particularly like Options trading. I like the idea of buying options as an investment if I think the price is headed a certain direction. I think of trading options away before expiry as more of a stop-loss for options.
    Aug 18 03:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research In Motion Options Strategy For BlackBerry 10 Release [View article]
    I went with the strike closest to current prices. It just makes sense to start at the bottom of the valley (if you look at the graphs above) and then no matter which way price goes, you're moving closer to profits. If you went with a $6 strike and the price decided to move towards $6, you'd be moving more negative.
    Aug 16 04:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research In Motion Options Strategy For BlackBerry 10 Release [View article]
    I think you're a bit misinformed about options. There are brokers that let you trade options for as low as $3 per contract. Some even charge commission per spread so you'd only pay one commission for multiple legs. If you're making $500+ at expiry, that $3 hardly matters. You can look at the graphs above to see how much money you'd make for given share price at expiry.
    Aug 16 04:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research In Motion Options Strategy For BlackBerry 10 Release [View article]
    Sorry guys, the comments seem to be out of order (my replies are clumped together for some reason). Anyway, a lot of you have pointed out that you think RIM is still in a strong position to grow and possibly make a comeback. I am in no way arguing otherwise. In fact, if you'll notice I you'll take profits if share price rallies. The main benefit of using an option spread is that you can profit in the event that we're all wrong and we see a bear market for RIM. Of course, if you're absolutely 100% convinced price is only moving upward, you should just buy the stock or go with long call options only.
    Aug 16 04:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research In Motion Options Strategy For BlackBerry 10 Release [View article]
    Using options, in my opinion isn't about making more money than you would by owning stock. It's about controlling risk incase you're wrong. You would definitely make more money by owning the stock---if you're right and it rallys. On the other hand you'd make more money shorting it if you thought it was heading downhill and you were right. Still, you have to look at the risk of being wrong and see if that's money you'd be willing to part with.
    Aug 16 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research In Motion Options Strategy For BlackBerry 10 Release [View article]
    While it could be extremely rewarding if it works out, I don't think many people have the appetite to short Apple. I personally don't think Apple has much fuel left: http://bit.ly/RVqApQ but I wouldn't be caught dead shorting it. Maybe an options play with limited risk/reward.
    Aug 16 09:39 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research In Motion Options Strategy For BlackBerry 10 Release [View article]
    You're right, some people don't want a touch screen. However, that's never going to be enough to save Blackberry as a brand. It seems even RIM is catching on to that since all of the demo products I've seen seem to be touch screens.
    Aug 16 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research In Motion Options Strategy For BlackBerry 10 Release [View article]
    Maybe I should clarify; they're hard to find when compared with the other smart phones. Android and iPhone collectively have 83% of the market while BB have a dismal 11%. That wouldn't be so bad if it had always been like that but we're talking about the smartphones that once held over 80% of the market by themselves!
    Aug 16 09:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research In Motion Options Strategy For BlackBerry 10 Release [View article]
    You could do that at the risk of losing money if BB10 is delayed and there's a sell-off.
    Aug 15 08:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment