Victor Cheng

View Victor Cheng's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Is A Luxury Brand And That Is The Problem [View article]
    Be ready for an onslaught from AAPL bulls. I wrote about this very same topic - that Apple doesn't address the entry-level market for cell phones - 2 days ago and was met with emotional criticisms more than anything.

However, I'm not sure Apple deserves a outright sell based on current valuation, but this is a problem that definitely needs to be addressed soon if they want to remain a king.
    Sep 10, 2014. 01:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Good Value But The Missing Phablet And Entry-Level Phone Make It Imperfect [View article]
    "Nonetheless, I am still excited by the September 9 event, be it an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 plus, or iWatch that gets released." That's a quote straight from the text. I believe you are the one uninformed by not reading the article.
    Sep 8, 2014. 08:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I'm not sure what I'm on the "wrong" end of. I'm not short AAPL, and I think the stock offers great value (That bullet #1 at the very top). I'm just saying it's not a core holding for me at this point in time. It's ok to agree to disagree, no? My core holdings - MU, GILD, NOK, IMOS have all outperformed AAPL in the last couple of years...
    Sep 8, 2014. 06:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    OK...please enlighten me with some facts.
    Sep 8, 2014. 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    If they announce the phablet - great! I am saying that this market needs to be addressed, and that is what Apple is doing.

As for how many they can actually ship, we'll see. There are rumors of manufacturing issues with the larger screen size.
    Sep 8, 2014. 05:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Did you forget the Nokia used to be the king of cell phones once upon a time and commanded a hefty premium on its high end phones as well?

Sony used to be the king of television, Nintendo the king of gaming, and Dell the king of computers. Where are they on the food chain now?
    Sep 8, 2014. 05:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    You're right. Nice find.
    Sep 8, 2014. 04:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Positive Sentiment In Apple Gives Buy Signal Before Earnings Release [View article]
    I initiated a position at the open @ $505. Let's see if it will hold $500 this week...
    Jan 28, 2014. 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Looks like AAPL will only cost $500 tomorrow. I'm getting ready to load the truck. Hmmm...stocks or calls???
    Jan 27, 2014. 06:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Greg,

You are right. You would need to employ more of a "buy/short" strategy rather than the typical "buy/sell". There are definitely different ways to interpret the data depending on how one categorizes a successful trade.

As for your son-in-law, I would just give him time. Trading options is a tricky business. I have some options in MU that are swinging for the fence, but usually I just sell covered calls to get a steady income stream and as insurance for a market downturn. I didn't really get interested in options myself until I finally realized how powerful they are. One also needs to have the stomach for high valitility/beta in order to trade options.
    Jan 26, 2014. 09:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Agreed. If you go back to the original analysis, you can see that I acknowledged the small sample size problem and also pointed out the fact that SA authors' sentiments are skewed to the buy side.

Jan 25, 2014. 07:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Very keen observation, Byron! Take the data for what it's worth: tools of predictions. Nothing is set in stone and there are definitely different ways to interpret them. How much time should I have given each signal before assigning a "correct" or "wrong prediction? 1 month? 3 months? Until the next signal? Until the signal reverses?

Assuming that Apple can take advantage of the growth opportunities, that margins don't fall off a cliff, and Apple can continue to release innovative products every few years, the company is a good long term investment. In any case, Monday afterhours and Tuesday will be very interesting...
    Jan 25, 2014. 03:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I agree Michael. Broad market currents will most likely dictate AAPL next week even if technicals say otherwise and even if earnings and guidance are fantastic. If we see $500, I'll be a strong buyer.
    Jan 25, 2014. 12:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Seeking Alpha Authors Biased When It Comes To Apple? [View article]
    A follow-up article that I wrote but was declined by SA to publish.

Jan 19, 2014. 11:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Remains A Good Short [View article]
    Michael,

I think you are right in thinking that Apple will eventually lose market share (specifically to MSFT/NOK and chinese vendors), but it won't happen overnight. There is still a massive number of people who can't get away from their iPhones, iPads, macs, and the apps selection available. I don't think the downturn in APPL will materialize until a new disruptive technology comes along...what that is, I don't know yet. But, we have seen the fall of Nokia, Motorola and Blackberry to know that kings do get dethroned. When Apple gets dethroned, it will be a long and painful decline. I would prefer to short it during that prolonged decline rather than be a brave soul like yourself and try to pick the inflection point. Good luck with your short.
    Jan 10, 2014. 10:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment