Vince Martin

View Vince Martin's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Adams Resources: Narrowing Spreads Create A Risky, But Potentially Profitable, Short Play [View article]
    Obviously I do think I will be right this time...time will tell.

It's not like I've been bashing the stock the whole time...I've recommended it twice at 29 and 35 (if I recall correctly). I don't think it will justify 60 going forward...we shall see. Good luck to you as well.
    Sep 25, 2013. 01:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Bulls, Just Stop [View article]
    I like that analogy...not sure I completely agree, but I like that analogy.
    Sep 25, 2013. 02:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Bulls, Just Stop [View article]
    Good luck. Sincerely.
    Sep 25, 2013. 02:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Bulls, Just Stop [View article]
    Damning with faint praise, sir.
    Sep 25, 2013. 02:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Bulls, Just Stop [View article]
    If you're basing a bull case on a class action suit, you're insane. Class action suits take five years, the lawyers get millions, and the shareholders get coupons for 3 free months of BBM on their iPhone or Android device.

And what is this clear motive? For the Board to ruin their reputations, be associated with a diastrous ending, so that Watsa can lose less money? Are you serious?
    Sep 25, 2013. 02:38 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Bulls, Just Stop [View article]
    Was revenue down 47 percent or not? That's reality, that's truth. You can complain about accounting adjustments all you want but the fact is the Street understood the effect of those adjustments and BBRY MISSED BY NEARLY 50 PERCENT on the top line. That is, as Nomura wrote, probably unprecedented. Pretending that the quarter wasn't that bad is not factual, not truthful, and not real.

As to my motivation, yes, BBRY articles get hits. (For instance, I wrote the title in a way that I thought would draw hits.) But read 2.5 years of my coverage on this company. My tone has been exactly the same: trying to warn retail investors away from this s--- pile of a company. Nothing in this article, or the previous 6, is rubbing anyone's noses in it. Rather, I have tried to explain that this company has been horrifically mismanaged and is not worth hard-earned money. I've written that from 25 to 8, and I'm trying to do so again before it winds up at 3.

And I'm not a kid. So take your condescension elsewhere.
    Sep 25, 2013. 02:35 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Bulls, Just Stop [View article]
    There are lots of comments to that effect; for some reason $12 and $15 seem to be the most popular prices. $14 remains unpopular :)
    Sep 25, 2013. 02:30 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Bulls, Just Stop [View article]
    No, he has six weeks to do complete due diligence and he hasn't purchased the company yet. It's very clearly in the press release.
    Sep 25, 2013. 02:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Bulls, Just Stop [View article]
    I stated exactly that in the article and explained why I thought a second bid was highly unlikely.
    Sep 25, 2013. 02:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Bulls, Just Stop [View article]
    I didn't stamp a $500MM loss going forward. But this company is going to burn cash for a while. Any acquirer is going to account for that in his/her bid.

I easily dismiss the conspiracy theory because it's ridiculous. Watsa's bid is at $9 because the stock was at $8.xx and the company has no leverage.Again, nothing about the timeline changes the present value of the stock! It would have changed the timing but the valuation of the stock is based on the prelim Q2 figures and they were TERRIBLE, accounting changes or no. (WS knew the accounting had changed, and BB still missed by 47% or something like that on the TOP line.)

The stock was at $8.xx and the company has no leverage because it has run itself into the ground. For two-plus years, it's been "this is manipulated, look at the P/E," then earnings disappeared. Then "this is manipulated, look at book value," then book value disappeared. Now it's "this is manipulated, look at the cash." It's not a worthy case, and it hasn't been the whole way down.
    Sep 25, 2013. 02:27 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Bulls, Just Stop [View article]
    What spin said it was fake? Shares rose, CNN.com had "BlackBerry going private" on its front page, so did this site. You're grasping.

Those who complain about media bashing need to tell me one thing: what else were they supposed to write about?
    Sep 25, 2013. 02:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Bulls, Just Stop [View article]
    My first bearish piece on BBRY (then RIMM) was in summer of '11, wrote a few more after that. I've gone after management a few times; there's just so much coverage of the company that even the 6 (?) pieces I've written just sort of get cycled through quickly.
    Sep 25, 2013. 02:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry to be acquired by Fairfax-led consortium for $9/share [View news story]
    The "sources" were press releases and SEC filings. Do you really think BlackBerry could lay off 9K people and nobody would cover it? Enough with the 'media conspiracy' nonsense. There's no need for secrecy: the company has been a disaster.
    Sep 23, 2013. 09:33 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • No Gambling Necessary When Investing In Lakes Entertainment [View article]
    Reading the article, evidently.
    Sep 19, 2013. 04:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cray Should Power Higher [View article]
    Interesting, thanks for the heads up.
    Sep 18, 2013. 09:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment