Vishal Doshi

View Grynn's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Many $BBRY Users Are Switching To IOS/Android? [View instapost]
    Yep, Mar 28 is going to be very interesting:

I think:

1) If the numbers are bad - $BBRY will go down in flames. It's game over. 30% chance?

2) If the numbers are good - it's only a temporary respite, it's not enough to signal a new trend - 70% chance?

I'm still holding my short, hope I can stay afloat even if the numbers are good and there's a big pop to say 18/19.

It's looking a little bleak; what do you think? Any opinion on the Lenovo rumours?
    Mar 12 08:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Is Tim Cook The Next Steve Ballmer? [View article]
    Hey,

I found your article very thought-provoking. Interesting comparison. Hrmmm... (I'm long $AAPL, btw).

I suppose the most obvious difference - as you pointed out - is the difference in P/E ratios. Perhaps this has to do with perceived stickiness of earnings... $MSFT had a near monopoly at it's peak, with a distinct majority of all computers using their software and no immediate competitors. $APPL is much more vulnerable -- Android has a bigger marketshare than iOS. And there's a bunch of new challengers - like BB10 and Win8. All of which suggests that the market perceives $AAPL future earnings as a much riskier proposition (even today) compared to $MSFT's future earnings.

I think this difference in marketshare can go both ways -- still a lot of room for growth / still a lot of risk :)

Thanks for your article though, interesting, thought-provoking perspective.
    Feb 21 02:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CFO Resignation And Intel Warning Are Irrelevant: Buy AMD [View article]
    AMD's Brazos platform is nothing like Haswell. Even assuming that it has better performance (I have not yet googled for benchmarks), it looks like it has worse performance/watt which is what IMHO really matters in the post-PC, tablet space.

The bottom end of the Haswell range is rumored to have a 10W TDP (still very high) while the Brazos has a an 18W TDP (http://bit.ly/SpLOOJ).

New Lenovo, HPQ tablets all seem to be based either around ARM chips (Win RT) or INTC Atom (Win 8 full). I figure that's cuz AMD does not match performance/watt with INTC.

Do you know of any tablet manufacturers (Asus, Acer perhaps?) who are considering Brazos chips?
    Sep 24 08:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's A6 Is A Custom Design: What Does This Mean For Investors? [View article]
    As per the AnandTech article, Apple currently licenses the ARMv7 instruction set, but not the reference CPU design, choosing instead to make their own CPU.

My big fear (being short AMD) is that Apple could buy AMD as a means of cheaply licensing/purchasing x86 development rights. They don't have enough volume to justify such as move (in the desktop/server) market at the moment, but could that change with an AMD purchase?
    Sep 18 09:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Nokia/Microsoft Blundered Today's Lumia Launch [View article]
    There was nothing about how the Lumia integrates with Surface/Win8. Why not?

How do you differentiate between Win7/Win8 phones? They looked the same to me, but they're clearly not software wise. Win7 phones can't run Win8 apps.

How is Lumia better'n Samsung/HTC Win8 phones? I mean MSFT is not down (much) today.

Isn't India a very important market for $NOK? Android's announced voice navigation for India, bet ya anything $NOK won't have voice nav.
    Sep 5 05:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Windows 8 Bad For Gamers, Or Just For Steam? [View article]
    I wonder if this has something to do with Microsoft's Game Center competing with Steam (which is a delivery/distribution mechanism)...

Windows users can download games straight from Microsoft's Store on PC, XBox, Windows Phone etc... no need for Steam!
    Jul 30 02:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment