W. Walker Jr.

View W. Walker Jr.'s Comments BY TICKER:
  • McDonald's Earnings Sneak Peak [View article]
    that's actually not a bad idea -- could brand it something like McD's Farm Fresh - organic, non GMO...could be a hit
    Jan 27 02:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McDonald's Earnings Sneak Peak [View article]
    As a McDonald's lover, eating more than a person should for the past 16 years, I think the idea that changing something will give them better results...may not be the best goal here...

They need to stop trying to reinvent themselves and be who they are, what happened to Coke when they changed?...sometimes things are better left alone.

I continue to return to McDonald's frequently these days, my problem in QUALITY, SERVICE and CLEANLINESS.

I can't find one in Chicago where I get fresh fries, or food, often get sub par service, and it's always filthy.

When I worked there for 7 years, I would have been fired for running such a mess. McDonald's needs to quit screwing around with wraps and all these failed "arch deluxes" (how many stay on the regular menu???) and focus on what they were built on QSC - Quality - Service - Cleanliness.;

Why I don't go to McDonald's more...because I know I either won't get fresh fries, they will forget my sauce, they are borderline rude, the bathrooms are trashed, and when I do get fresh food, usually a double cheeseburger, it's sopping wet with grease because the burger flipper didn't drain the grease before putting it in the tray, (forget to season the burger or over season, oh yea it happens a lot).

McD's is loosing business for these reasons only. Revamping and such nonsense is just spinning wheels. What good is anything covered in crap...

I'll keep on sayin it "GET BACK TO THE BASICS" -

FRIES ARE ONLY GOOD FOR 7 MIN AFTER OUT OF GREASE
    MEAT NEEDS TO BE DRAINED AFTER PULLING FROM GRILL AND PUTTING IN TRAY - ITS ONLY GOOD FOR 20 MIN....
    THOSE NUGGETS YEA THEIR ONLY 30 MIN AFTER OUT OF THE GREASE.

It use to be FAST ACCURATE AND FRIENDLY - I've not seen that since I've managed a store 10 years ago.

Any managers reading this should be walking the store every hour and BATHROOMS are 1st on that list! I don't care how busy you are, you are not that important- check the bathroom and indoor/outdoor garbage #2, then mop for god sake! It takes less than 5 min and you delagate the tasks if your too imporant to do it yourself.

Just my thoughts as a 2-3x a week McD's customer...and share holder - were spinning our wheels because of QSC not the products.
    Jan 20 10:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adding Ventas As Another Pillar To My Portfolio [View article]
    It's important to remember that VTR buys properties from Operators, then turns around and leases it back to them under some of the strictest terms in the industry. The value of the buildings is not at all like the housing market, it's almost 90% based on operational value. So long as there are residents in the community paying rent, VTR will get its lease payment. Should said operator mess up the consequences are swift and harsh. There are 10 other operators more than willing to take over operations, and there are 100 other owner/investors clamoring to buy these properties. That demand isn't going anywhere. If you look at the actual properties that VTR owns...they are usually some of the best in the industry, and there is a reason for that...

I'm not saying VTR is perfect, but Deb certainly has a really good model worked out, and over the last few years took advantage of still historically low rates... Much of the concern is how the capital is stacked, and given how well VTR keeps its ship up to snuff, I have no question that the dozens of senior analysts inside the company itself have hundreds of scenarios worked out to plan their next steps...
    Cap Ex issues are going to be the concern of VTR about 5-10 years down the road, but I highly doubt they will over look this issue or trim the hedges.

Just my 2 cents :-)
    Jan 3 08:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Adding Ventas As Another Pillar To My Portfolio [View article]
    I have to respectfully disagree, VTR is NOT an operator. Due to the RIDEA structure they are able to own PART of an operations company. VTR does not operate itself, but partners up with trusted and tested operators and then buys part of their company. This way they are able to increase their returns.

In the 7 years I worked in senior housing brokerage I've never seen any property that VTR manages itself.
    Dec 27 02:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Default Has Already Begun [View article]
    there never was democracy, the United States of America is a Constitutional Republic. The founding fathers were more than aware of how democracy works and how dangerous it is, simply put, mob rule.
    Oct 15 11:11 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Default Has Already Begun [View article]
    I disagree, we haven't eaten our meal yet, we are still in the process of ordering our next course, and overpaying for that...

Raising the debt ceiling to pay "past bills" is utter nonsense. The only reason they can say that is because they won't cut back on what we are ordering for our next course.

If we did cut back, not raise the ceiling, cut 33% of our budget right away, we would risk taking out nearly $1T from the economy. Awesome right? Our government is so big, that if we even try to shrink it, it will implode the entire country. You guys in office sure have made a mess of things for us.
    Oct 15 10:39 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ventas Is 'Pound For Pound' One Of The Best REITs Around [View article]
    Not very much, I would argue the VTR is primarily private pay with very little if any exposure to Medicare; same with most it's operators that lease it's buildings.

It is important to remember that VTR does not Manage any of its real estate or profit from the operations outside of the RIDEA model. They buy real estate, lease it at very favorable terms to VTR, and move on to their next acquisition.

I've worked very closely with VTR over the past 5 years and have the ultimate faith in Deb. The recent pullback in conjunction with the Yellen appointment give me hope about the short term share price increasing.

Should we fix our economic problem and rates really do rise, and the Fed stops printing money, then you should be much more concerned with the share price moving lower. Personally I don't believe we will see lower fed fund rates until 2015 and we wont even taper MBS until late 2014, and that's if we don't have to increase QE.
    I am Long VTR, I recommend it to my clients, and I have no other connection with the company or stock.
    Oct 15 10:22 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Gold Imports Continue To Impress [View article]
    Digi, I think you are spot on, however the "American People" won't do anything about it. You have a much higher chance of seeing the emergence of a one world currency. I think you know somewhere deep down that the Rothschild reach is far beyond the USA and the creation of a global currency would be the final step is their century+ long plan to dominate the world.

Last I checked the rest of the world still buys our bonds, they still buy our goods, and they allow the Federal Reserve Dollar to continue to be the reserve currency. The moment that status is in jeopardy you can count on a huge disaster that will require the world government to issue a global currency, to "save us".

This is not just an "American" problem, the rest of the world, like it or not, is tied to our waist. So long as countries continue to sell us goods in exchange for our $, so long as countries buy our bonds, in exchange for our $, so long as you are required to buy OIL in the Federal $, the world will continue to spin, and we will continue our eventual climb to the fail of all fiat currency. (I think it's possible to kick this can for another 5-20 years,depending on about 1000 different factors)

Anyone who is paying attention will see that a secret war behind the curtain has been raging. China continues to distance itself from the US, recently signing a free trade agreement with Russia, and Switzerland. Laws that disallow the sale of Gold outside the country. China buys oil from Iran in gold, India is buying oil from Iran in gold. African nations have been preparing, EU nations have been preparing.

There is a reason Central Banks are buying Gold like gangbusters. At least that's my thought/opinion.
    Oct 14 10:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China Gold Imports Continue To Impress [View article]
    Interesting that while Goldman continues to advise selling gold, they have been buying up everything their clients are willing to sell. In Q2 Goldman added 3.7M shares of GLD. They are now supposedly the 6th or 7th largest holder.
    Oct 11 12:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria: Accumulate This Cash Cow And Enjoy A 5.5% Dividend Yield [View article]
    Right, they were the same company and split, US (MO) and international (PM) companies. As far as financial ties, I am not aware of any but I certainly am not an expert. I would assume there are ties with production etc somehow.
    Oct 8 03:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great article. Personally I prefer PM simply because of constant increasing cig taxes and regulation in US. The growth story for PM in emerging markets is very attractive to me.
    Oct 8 11:22 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Sapphire Screens About To Crack Corning's Gorilla Glass? [View article]
    I would add that Gorilla Glass in not the end all be all of GLW. Their future products are also thinner, stronger. Willow Glass is not only thinner and stronger, but it's flexible.

Disclosure: I am long GLW
    Sep 20 03:03 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Philip Morris Hits 4% Yield Before Dividend Raise [View article]
    Not to mention it's a sign of affluence if you are smoking Marlboro vs. "el cheapo" brand.
    Sep 5 11:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Student Loans: The Elephant In The Room? [View article]
    I will consider that, I also have been working on one regarding the rise in student loan interest rates.

IF you think about it, the government can raise the interest rates on the student loans to the moon. Most borrowers are on the "income repayment plan", no matter how much the interest goes up, they borrower pays the same amount as before. Then in 20 years it's forgiven.

Can we say bad practice and our next unfunded liability?
    Jul 9 09:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Likely Entering A Deflationary Spiral [View article]
    Didn't deflation use to be a good thing? I never thought I heard the day the people would bi**ch about prices falling. Deflation means our goods get cheaper, right? We are becoming more advanced and producing better products, right? It means our dollars buy more goods right?

Well I guess when the US began focusing on promoting inflation as a good thing, the rest simply followed like sheep. Now deflation is the bad guy? hmm

Price does not equal Value.
    Jul 9 08:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment