Wall Street Strategies

View Wall Street Strategies' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Chinese PMI Pluralism [View article]
    A reading of 50 on the HSBC China PMI indicates no change from the previous month, so what i said is correct. I was not talking about annual changes. See press release below, it says above the first chart:
    Apr 25, 2012. 08:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Teva Is A Slam Dunk Valuation Play; Nearly Tops Our Scale [View article]
    Like the stock, but do wonder about the geopolitical risk of being based in Israel at the moment
    Mar 9, 2012. 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Wall Street Save Main Street? [View article]
    Before I get an overflow of hate comments - This is a non-opinioned observation piece about the Fed's Z1 report on household net worth. I actually do not like QE, nor am I championing Wall Street, honestly. I am writing only in the context of an observation that I came across, and what could become an important economic trend.
    Dec 10, 2010. 09:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GM Files For IPO [View article]
    User21106,

As of right now, the old bondholders own about 10% of the new GM, so with the new IPO and the 500 million shares that are to be created, approximately 50 million shares will go to those bondholders... not sure if they are going to sell any of those shares just yet, but they will have the option...
    Aug 19, 2010. 09:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking Under the Hood of New GM [View article]
    It trades under MTLQQ.PK right now, but that is the assets that are still in bankruptcy... The "New GM" doesnt trade publicly yet...
    Apr 9, 2010. 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beneath the Game Sector Hype [View article]
    SNDA=Not a traditionally game publisher

On Jun 04 08:00 PM holderofumpq wrote:

> ATVI (Modern Warfare) up 225% since Jan 1 2005
    > SNDA (China online gaming) up 69% since Jan 1 2005
    > There's no point in making selective arguments against a sector;
    > you have to look at the sector as a whole.
    Sep 17, 2009. 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beneath the Game Sector Hype [View article]
    Hi Mike. Check out my update

On Jun 05 11:57 AM Michael Comeau wrote:

> It's a bit unfair that you selected just two stocks to make your
    > point.
    Sep 17, 2009. 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quiksilver Pulled Out to Sea [View article]
    How'd that long position in ZQK work out for you?

On Jan 17 01:16 PM Chancer wrote:

> This is a great company as a long term hold for those with patience.
    > They are and will continue to be the #1 brand in the surfwear industry.
    > Buy on weakness. You will be rewarded in the longterm.
    May 1, 2009. 04:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now's the Time to Shed Coach Handbags [View article]
    We don't manage money Joe, just put out the research. The call worked out pretty darn well, might I add :)

On Jan 24 01:18 PM Joe Patrick wrote:

> Where is the disclosure statement for this article? It seems written
    > from the perspective of someone with a short position that failed
    > to recognize an oversold stock.
    May 1, 2009. 04:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Snap-On: The Future Looks Promising [View article]
    Awesome insights everyone. It's on the ground assessments like these that are very critical in proper analysis. I am still upbeat on SNA, but am certainly open to healthy debate.
    Apr 29, 2009. 05:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Snap-On: The Future Looks Promising [View article]
    Thanks for the color, the feedback is much appreciated. I think the opportunities for Snap-On lays in China and in the aftermarket. Dealer service bays are going away (see GM announcement), meaning business is going to have to be picked up somewhere. Perhaps technicians open their own garages. It's all high level thinking I suppose. In the meantime, I am pulling for the special dividend! :)

On Apr 29 01:50 PM bcncv wrote:

> Snap-On makes some great tools, and I still own some that my grandfather
    > bought many years ago. They're the best tools in the family, and
    > they really do last forever.
    > I'm not sure I'd own it as an investment though. Although I haven't
    > studied the stock as closely as you, I feel like they're fighting
    > a trend of car manufactures creating lower maintenance cars, and
    > younger generations that are less interested in maintaining their
    > own vehicles. I don't know anything about their international sales,
    > but I don't imagine the super high quality / super high price combo
    > will sell well in many growing emerging markets either.
    > Although if they declared a special dividend of a new ratchet set,
    > I'd buy stock in a heartbeat :-)
    Apr 29, 2009. 02:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Snap-On: The Future Looks Promising [View article]
    I like those insights, do you work in the automotive repair industry? The one thing I wonder is if dealers subsidize the tools for their technicians, in some cases I would have to assume they do. My thinking here, as it pertains to the Snap-On opportunity, is that technicians would have to invest in more capital intensive goods (like the diagnostics, etc) rather than regular hand tools. I would certainly welcome any added insight.

-Brian

On Apr 29 12:16 PM Birdsnest wrote:

> Not sure that I agree with your thesis regarding growth in tool sales
    > as auto dealers close and technicians move to aftermarket repair
    > shops. Auto mechanics typically own their own tools and take them
    > with them to their new job. This is simply a locational transfer
    > of existing tool stocks and not really an opportunity for incremental
    > sales. Indeed, total automotive tool use is probably more function
    > of total aggregate miles driven (down) adjusted for long term shifts
    > in auto quality (better), adjusted for DIY leakage (up sharpley,
    > driving down aftermarket repairs and maintenance). These combined
    > factors would seem to me rather negative for Snap-on.
    Apr 29, 2009. 01:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Snap-On: The Future Looks Promising [View article]
    I love your line of thinking Rob, and appreciate the insight. One great thing to keep in mind too is the relatively high barriers to entry to tool manufacturing, especially for the products being put out by Snap-On. I have always seen a level of innovation from them that has gone unrivaled by others.

-Brian

On Apr 29 11:59 AM TraderRob wrote:

> We may see a pop in sales for "best in breed" brands in many sectors
    > of retail. Snap-On has been producing professional grade wrenches
    > dating back to the 1920's and have since integrated the brand into
    > a wide spectrum of shop tools and equipment. Tax rebates and cuts
    > from the stimulus will allow some middle income earners a one-time
    > pop in disposable income that should benefit brands like Snap-On.
    > Dire economic times inspire many to plunge into DIY projects instead
    > of taking the car to the shop, causing the return on investment of
    > "Lifetime Warranty" products like Snap-On to become more attractive.
    Apr 29, 2009. 01:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment