Walter Gault

View Walter Gault's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Building The Portfolio For The Future With Cree, Inc. And Dana Holding Corporation [View article]
    Good catch, something wasn't adding up there. However, its charts on Yahoo Finance and FreeStockCharts only go back for a year.
    Jun 22 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The 11.9% Dividend [View article]
    Usually Morningtar is the one of the first to have ex-div dates, but I have not seen it either. I don't think it was on the shareholder meeting date?
    May 3 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The Dividend - Part II [View article]
    Thanks for the comment and insight Caiman. I read your article on the riskiness of investing Argentina. I cannot disagree about the historic volatility and economic instability in the region due to the government's reputation.

And the link you provided on the cell and data outage damages the the government is requiring reimbursement for is added weight.

I guess I can't help playing devil's advocate at this point...In the face of YPF nationalization and no dividend, do you think the beast's belly will ever be satisfied so to speak, or will it continue devour until everything is regulated? And will TEO really cut their dividend to improve their relationship with the gov't?
    Apr 9 02:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The Dividend - Part II [View article]
    In this article I discussed the lack of a credible news source regarding TEO's dividend. Reuters has now adjusted this link to affirm Pagina 12's claim that TEO will not pay a dividend.

At the time of this article's writing, Reuters described Pagina 12's claim as lacking sources, and unavailable for comment. Now, it seems that the source is verified.

However, shareholder's will still vote on the dividend April 27th.
    Apr 5 12:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The 11.9% Dividend [View article]
    For those you who read part II of this article, I discussed the lack of a credible news source regarding TEO's dividend. Reuters has now adjusted this link to affirm Pagina 12's claim that TEO will not pay a dividend.

At the time of this article's writing and part II's, Reuters described Pagina 12's claim as lacking sources, and unavailable for comment. Now, it seems that the source is verified.

However, shareholder's will still vote on the dividend April 27th.
    Apr 5 12:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The 11.9% Dividend [View article]
    Mr Phillips,

I would normally ask that you reconsider your comment and read part II http://seekingalpha.co...
    But, it seems you've already found it. And while carrots are pretty good, sweet potatoes always do a better job!
    Apr 5 12:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The Dividend - Part II [View article]
    Yes, I'm a Argentinian cowboy! But you definitely have me with authenticity! How long were you at UCSB?

Thanks for relaying the news. It doesn't sound great, but while TEO does pay dividends like the rest and could be influenced by the government, it isn't a bank and it doesn't harvest a natural resource. I think its best to wait and see if you're purely concerned about the dividend. TEO is down over 1% to 17.33 today, its holding.

While investing in Argentina is risky, TEO is the best of the bunch, a solid company at a cheap price.
    Apr 4 02:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The Dividend - Part II [View article]
    Thanks for reading Julenzi! I believe I said Pagina 12 was a financial newspaper? Not sure about the difference though.

My spanish isn't very good. Could you elaborate please?
    Apr 3 11:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The Dividend - Part II [View article]
    That's a good point Woofseek, thanks for the comment.

To answer your question, I do think similarly "talented" people are in office. How it will play out is anyone's guess.

In 2000, we were collapsing after the tech bubble burst which was just one of the many phases of economic instability in Argentina. I hope your trading indecision isn't indicative off a repeat stock price performance :).

Here's some more recent history: when Nestor Kirchner, Argentina's former president, died in 2010, TEO rose nearly +10% and was one of many ADRs to gap up immediately after his death was announced. http://reut.rs/Hdi3Zb

I'm not saying investors should be counting on death of Nestor's wife, but things have yet to play out completely.

And perhaps with the government takeover of YPF, with no dividend, the government's appetite has been satisfied.
    Apr 3 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The Dividend - Part II [View article]
    Well FlaYankee, I think you nailed it. If you want the big gains, you have to be willing to enter when no one else is. I think its best to wait and see how the situation with YPF works out, as Repsol has threatened with a lawsuit.
    However, there is a whole issue of a large natural resource, that wouldn't affect TEO. Maybe worth exploring in another article.
    Apr 2 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The Dividend - Part II [View article]
    The news about YPF is troubling. However, I think there is a key difference: from what I've read, and what is mentioned in the article you posted, YPF hasn't met its contract obligations.

YPF and its majority shareholder, Repsolm, have argued that the price controls in Argentina have made the problem worse. The papers call this a left-of-center government, but its essentially anti free market.
    Being that Argentina has the 3rd largest shale reserves (I believe), the government probably sees this as an opportunity to be more productive, which I seriously doubt.

TEO doesn't have a large natural resource to harvest. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.
    Apr 2 12:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The 11.9% Dividend [View article]
    The discussion in the comments has spurned me to delve deeper into TEO's dividend. I've just submitted a second article to SA, which I hope will bring the loose pieces closer to together along with some actionable scenarios.
    Mar 30 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The 11.9% Dividend [View article]
    Please ook, show me the convincing evidence that the TEO dividend has been cancelled, cause all I can find is a little blip on Bloomberg from a Argentine financial news outlet, who had no sources and could not be reached for comment.

And since Telecom Italia owns more than half of TEO, I'd expect they will be able to make the dividend happen, unless there is some new government regulation in Argentina to prevent it. But usually the money talks
    Mar 30 12:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The 11.9% Dividend [View article]
    Belingenieur,

I assume you're aware that the Bloomberg post you refer too, was from a local newspaper, that didn't cite sources, and couldn't be reached by Bloomberg. fishy
    Mar 29 12:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Telecom Argentina: Buying The 11.9% Dividend [View article]
    First off, TEO shareholders will vote on whether the dividend is paid.

As for understanding the ex-dividend date, its the last day you can own a stock and still collect the dividend. The purpose of this article was to illustrate a potential actionable idea of buying TEO before its ex-dvidend date, and selling the following day. $2.21/share is the projected dividend, which could now very well be reduced.

As further news/research has come out, this trade is looking more speculative. But TEO is fairly valued, it already took a large drop of 6% on Monday, and frankly, the way the market has been performing this week, its worth consideration.
    Mar 29 12:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment