William James

View William James' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Spyglass Resources: 3 Different Insiders Have Purchased Shares During The Last 30 Days [View article]
    HV - Appreciate your suggestions. Cheers, Wm
    Aug 23, 2014. 10:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    HV,

You were correct and I was wrong. Thanks for the lively debate on Spyglass but I did want to acknowledge your analysis was correct. I sold the last of my holding a while back. It was profitable for me, but not a good investment. Regards, William
    Aug 22, 2014. 06:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Angie's List: Portrait Of A Catastrophe [View article]
    I make no comment about Angie's List from an investment perspective, since I have never looked at it. However, I have used the service for a couple of years and have found it helpful and well worth the money. I have looked at other free review sites and find them completely lacking.

Reviews from people who use service providers are very helpful and using the site to obtain competitive quotes from service providers who know you will be posting your own review helps the consumer get good quality work at the best possible price.

Articles that only mention cons without covering pros are inherently suspect.
    Jul 8, 2014. 10:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pengrowth Energy: Firing On All Cylinders [View article]
    PGH just announced a doubling of reserves at Lindbergh and an increase in NAV (Lindbergh) of $2.05 per share, which is very good news and has not been reflected in any meaningful move in share price. For the SP to jump from here I think we have to wait for the first quarter of 2015 when Lindbergh begins to come on stream. I am currently up 46% on my PGH investment (excluding dividend income) so am pretty happy with progress so far.

I am not sure what lsuavecito's basis for bashing the stock is, but I respectfully disagree with his thoughtful conclusions...
    Jul 8, 2014. 03:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Spyglass Resources: An Undervalued Energy Play Yielding 15% [View article]
    Earlier in the year I trimmed my holding but still have about 25% left, which I am going to hang onto for the time being. I think the macro picture with oil prices (and nat. gas) and instability in the ME is the bigger issue here, which will drive the price of many Canadian oil assets higher, including Spyglass.
    Jul 2, 2014. 02:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pengrowth Energy: Firing On All Cylinders [View article]
    Indeed, but the basket did just become a lot more valuable. Shares up 4.5% currently and for patient investors the increase in NAV and move towards Lindbergh production next year will push the SP higher still.
    Jun 25, 2014. 11:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pengrowth Energy: Buy The Dip? [View article]
    I think your criticism is fair to a point in terms of past performance but I don't agree regarding Pengrowth's Lindbergh plan and current execution, which has been pretty good (sole exception is some cost overrun). If oil prices hold steady I think Pengrowth will do well and will be increasingly attractive as Lindbergh production starts to come online.
    May 29, 2014. 01:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pengrowth Energy: Buy The Dip? [View article]
    Agreed, a good pick. There are certainly a few, but for those interested in dividend income not that many. However, there are none that I am aware of that will match Pengrowth's growth in FFO by 2018 if they execute well on Lindbergh.
    May 28, 2014. 09:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pengrowth Energy: Buy The Dip? [View article]
    Well I am currently up 38% on it, not counting the dividend return, so I don't agree. Yes, I understand you lost money before but what has that got to do with Pengrowth now...

Please share these "better selections this side of the border" oh wise one, which can provide a decent dividend and a good plan for growing FFO.
    May 20, 2014. 02:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pengrowth Energy: Buy The Dip? [View article]
    Well for those of us who bought in the $4 range it is doing very well. For longer term holders I understand that it has not been easy, but that can also be said of many of the former Canroys.

Current execution by management has been pretty good in my view and I appreciate the strong support of the monthly dividend.
    May 19, 2014. 08:49 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Spyglass Resources: An Undervalued Energy Play Yielding 15% [View article]
    Interestingly there is still strong insider buying also. I also think improved natural gas pricing is going to help. In the meantime I am happy to keep collecting the dividend.
    May 8, 2014. 12:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Zargon Oil And Gas Is In The Bargain Bin And Ready To Take Off [View article]
    Sheeple - you are correct that the best time to buy Zargon was when it was in the 6's a year ago and a number of people missed that boat. Markus Arnio noted the insider purchases which got me looking at it. I have purchased when it dips under 7 - which it still does from time to time and which it did prior to this current article. It mysteriously jumped up into the 8's for a short time a while ago and I sold a few.

Many times these small stocks will get a bump from an article, but the bump does not necessarily last. My suggestion is to do your own evaluation of Zargon and watch for the price to drop back down to near the 7 dollar range and then think about purchasing, or not as you choose.

However, I do agree with the thesis of the article. In the long run I think this will do well from ASP and low cost production gains.
    Mar 22, 2014. 11:27 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power: Not So Clean [View article]
    Well it really depends upon your definition of clean power. I think that the majority of rational thinkers would think that 39% from renewables and 29% from natural gas is pretty reasonable and allows Atlantic Power to correctly claim to be a clean power generator.

On the other hand they have lied consistently about the sustainability of their dividend, which is a completely different matter and for that reason I would not touch the company with a ten foot pole.
    Mar 20, 2014. 02:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Zargon Oil And Gas Is In The Bargain Bin And Ready To Take Off [View article]
    I have been in Zargon for a while and note if you look at the big production gains from ASP (assuming it works as planned) are yet to come. It is the low cost increase in oil production that will drive the share price, IMO. In the meantime you have a well managed company that pays an excellent monthly dividend yield that is strongly supported by management.
    Mar 20, 2014. 11:34 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Zargon Oil And Gas Is In The Bargain Bin And Ready To Take Off [View article]
    Very thorough and well researched article - as usual! - Value Digger. Congratulations on being picked as a SA top idea.
    Mar 18, 2014. 09:00 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment