William Rudder

View William Rudder's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Caterpillar - Should I Buy The Dip? [View article]
    MG, that's a totally legit strategy. I tend to be a bit more cautious in the days leading up to an earnings announcement, but I will do some analysis throughout the day and we will see where it falls...
    Apr 17, 2015. 10:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Caterpillar - Should I Buy The Dip? [View article]
    I've been in and out of this one since 2009, but currently hold no position. My current buy target is right around $80, at which time I'd look at using covered calls to juice potential returns.
    Apr 16, 2015. 01:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Currency Problem Becoming More Challenging For The Company [View article]
    There's a lot of chatter here over whether or not this is an issue or even a concern going forward. If you are serious about making good decisions based on relevant facts, then you need to at least examine the issue. Currency valuations change daily, and trends will have an effect on financial statements reported in dollars. As to if this is a significant concern for investors/traders, you can only answer that for yourself.
    Mar 5, 2015. 03:37 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lumber Liquidators' Day Of Reckoning [View article]
    So now that we have dropped from $70 to $50 to $40, the question becomes what do the no-kidding estimates on forward earnings look like?
    Mar 2, 2015. 11:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons From A Dozen Years Of Short Selling [View article]
    Know the potential risk, weigh it against the potential reward, and make the decision that is right for you and your portfolio. Straight and/or large short positions are typically not my thing, but I will take a hedged short position using options if the numbers justify it.
    Mar 1, 2015. 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • You Can Absolutely, Positively, Retire Early... Maybe [View article]
    1. That wasn't short.
    2. You lost me at the "no more than 10%" part.
    Feb 28, 2015. 03:56 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Domino's Pizza: Let It Cool Before Taking A Bite [View article]
    The current numbers are preventing me from buying more, but I'm not betting against them right now either.

Trailing stops in place.
    Feb 28, 2015. 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Windstream: What A Difference A Few Months Make [View article]
    Yeah. I bounced on the day they announced the REIT plans and figured I would potentially look for a decent re-entry point once the dust settled. It'll take me a while to finish crunching these numbers, but I'll admit being at least intrigued by what I see despite the risks.
    Feb 28, 2015. 03:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Armour Residential REIT: What Did I Ever See In This Name? [View article]
    Well, the ticker symbol makes a cool pirate sound when you read it...
    Feb 27, 2015. 10:39 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Take Profits On Domino's And Papa John's [View article]
    Thanks for the link.

Long DPZ with stops in place.
    Feb 23, 2015. 09:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: The Plan Is Intact [View article]
    I'm still holding a bit more of this company than I intended, but that is due to share price appreciation and the fact is has not dropped to hit my stops. The way ahead looks okay, but there are other opportunities out there if this is not your cup of tea. I'm not adding, but not dumping it either.
    Feb 23, 2015. 01:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Take Profits On Domino's And Papa John's [View article]
    I'm not exactly sure that I'd agree with the "milder winter" argument. Maybe in some areas, sure, but the majority of the population still lives east of the Mississippi River, and there are some pretty large population centers buried in the white stuff.

Feb 23, 2015. 12:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Increasing Apple To 30% Of My 2015 Portfolio [View article]
    As is so often the case in grammatical arguments on discussion boards...

The comments on that page are even better than on this one...
    Dec 14, 2014. 02:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I'm Increasing Apple To 30% Of My 2015 Portfolio [View article]
    The only certainty in the market is that nothing is certain. Things will change. How? I don't know. When? I don't know. I'm happy for any investor who experiences a "win," but (to quote Public Enemy) don't believe the hype.

Still long AAPL with nice unrealized gains, stops in place.
    Dec 10, 2014. 01:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Doesn't Work: Intel And Philip Morris Edition [View article]
    Ummmm, yeah...

While dividend growth rate is one piece data investors consider when making a decision, using that information at the exclusion of everything else is probably not something most actually do. The typical SA reader (at least the ones I know) is a little smarter than that.
    Nov 24, 2014. 07:36 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment