William Rudder

View William Rudder's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is Caterpillar Squashed...Permanently? [View article]
    No situation is permanent.
    Sep 25, 2015. 02:58 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Dividend Growth Investors Try To Time The Market? [View article]
    You can't get wrapped up in trying to always make the 100% absolute best timing decision. You'll run out of both coffee and Prilosec. Just make money...
    Sep 15, 2015. 03:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Driving Up Altria's Earnings? [View article]
    At one point there was a lot of discussion about how Altria was "artificially" increasing EPS by borrowing money to buy back shares. The idea made sense -- borrow money at ~2% to retire shares that were paying a ~5% dividend. Smoke and mirrors? Whatever. I'll just take my artificially inflated dividend checks and say thank you.

Long MO.
    Aug 28, 2015. 11:20 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does Bank Of America Deserve A 52-Week Low? [View article]
    If the market as a whole is at/near a 52-week low, why wouldn't BAC be in the same boat? Long BAC.
    Aug 26, 2015. 12:33 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lumber Liquidators Will Continue To Crash And Burn [View article]
    No position, but I'm following the story. After the Chinese drywall problems from a few years ago, it's not much of a stretch to imagine Chinese suppliers cutting corners (again) to maximize profits and eventually getting caught. The issue is going to be proving LL management knew their suppliers were crooked. I just don't have enough information either way to make a bet on this one. 60 Minutes might want us to believe they provide relevant news, but they are part of an advertising company, and have a vested interest in not being proven wrong -- so consider the source. However, if LL had considered THEIR source in the first place, the stock could still be above $60.
    Aug 18, 2015. 11:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric: Are We Going Sideways For Another Year? [View article]
    Stock moves sideways, pays an okay dividend, and add a small return from ongoing covered calls. Basically kept this stock in line with the market. I had higher hopes, but that happens sometimes.
    Aug 17, 2015. 01:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Lies Ahead For Dividend Stocks? [View article]
    Thanks, LB. I think you'll find plenty of us out here who look at technical indicators and maybe consider them before making moves, but really are fundamental investors. And as for some of the DGI theory discussed above, I don't think anyone is actually happy when they incur a paper loss. But when you have a long(er) time horizon it takes some of the sting out knowing you expected temporary downturns and built them into your plan.

Consistency is the key.
    Aug 14, 2015. 12:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple sees downgrade, defenders following FQ3 report; shares -5.1% [View news story]
    Wow, this is terrible. So this news has caused the stock to plummet all the way to where it was seven trading days ago? Clearly the end for Apple.
    Jul 22, 2015. 02:15 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America Remains A Poor Investment [View article]
    I appreciate your willingness to go against the grain with your title and argument on this one. But your comments seem to infer that trading is somehow a bad thing. One can purchase a stock with a long-term view and yet change their mind when events occur and the market changes. Being focused on consistently making good choices with current data is probably more important than trying to time tops and bottoms or worry about short-term vs. long-term gains. Just make money.
    Jul 17, 2015. 04:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: A Missed Opportunity [View article]
    If INTC is this far ahead of AMD on the move from 14nm to 10nm, how much will the gap widen on the next move?
    Jul 16, 2015. 12:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Of My Favorite Dividend Growth Stocks Trading At A Discount [View article]
    That would make some sense, thanks...
    Jul 14, 2015. 01:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Of My Favorite Dividend Growth Stocks Trading At A Discount [View article]
    I'm not clear on why the charts use different discount rates. You do state that you use 9-11% depending on the risk, but some show 8-10% while others are 10-12%. Is this based on the risk of the individual stock or on the market? If it's a SWAG that's not a problem, I'm just trying to figure it out. Also, I am unclear why the chart for KO provides different data compared to the others. Thanks...
    Jul 14, 2015. 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Game Publishers Will Go Digital, Making GameStop Waste Away While Gamers Rejoice [View article]
    I disagree that download prices are high because retailers demand publishers keep them equal to physical copy prices. A publisher will charge the maximum possible price for the game regardless of how it is distributed. They don't sacrifice margin just because some consumers prefer to download games.

Next, I do agree that downloaded content will become more of a factor in the future. However, most authors simply write off the fact that GME has a management team that is well aware of that fact. Assuming they will simply repeat the mistakes of Blockbuster by failing to see the threat and refusing to adapt their business model is probably not accurate.
    Jun 26, 2015. 11:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Cash Dilemma [View article]
    Worst problem ever.
    Jun 22, 2015. 09:32 PM | 27 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rebuttal: Bank Of America Offers A Lot Of Value To Investors [View article]
    Once again, a heartfelt thank you goes out to the vocal BAC bears who enabled me to build my current position at what I consider bargain prices. I do not love the company and will sell the minute that suits my purposes better than holding. But you didn't have to be a genius to figure out that BAC would be around longer than Eric Holder.
    Jun 19, 2015. 11:44 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment