William Rudder

View William Rudder's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel Still Has Room To Run [View article]
    Good call on the announcement timing. I have no doubt that an increase would have provided a bump, but maintaining it right now doesn't really hurt either.
    Jul 24 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Provides Stability, Growth And Dividends [View article]
    Thanks, Dodger. I'm curious about the management issue you address so I guess I'll do some more reading. I wish I'd gotten in at a price like yours, but I'll take what I have now.
    Jul 22 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Provides Stability, Growth And Dividends [View article]
    Thanks for the reply cc. The statement about finding stable yield in an uncertain world makes good sense.
    Jul 22 04:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is General Electric The Perfect Company? [View article]
    No disagreement here that something had to be done. However, I empathize with those who were heavily invested in GE in 2009 and/or relied upon that dividend for retirement income. The issue arose with the televised interview in January 2009 stating the dividend was absolutely safe. Five weeks later, it was cut with no warning. That won't be forgotten by those "investors" any time soon, and I do not blame anyone for being angry to this day.

I am fortunate to be in a completely different situation. Still long. Still holding.
    Jul 21 03:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Is General Electric The Perfect Company? [View article]
    As Jeff Immelt put it at the 2013 Wharton Economic Summit, "and our dividend is going to keep going up, guys. I've got to tell you."

Well that never happened before.

I get it -- things changed in 2009 and drastic action was necessary. I do believe the dividend will be a positive from this point forward, but that will do little to reinforce trust for those who got smoked during the financial crisis. I'm long GE and holding.
    Jul 21 12:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sorry doll: Barbie's days as a Mattel mainstay could be numbered [View news story]
    It's all a matter of capitalizing on the Barbie brand. You've got the parents. Now get the kids so they pass it on to their kids.
    Jul 20 09:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GE: Fair Value Is About $35 [View article]
    B&H nailed it. Too many people are looking for faster growth or quicker returns and GE just isn't exciting right now.

Long and holding...
    Jul 20 08:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: A Junk Bond In Equity Clothing [View article]
    I'm with Aaron on this one. I think the dividend is safe. For now...
    Jul 20 03:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Great Electric Company Growth Opportunity [View article]
    Can anyone provide a good source for how much is spent daily in the US economy on electricity vs. liquid fuels? I see the graphic, but would like the source of the data. Also, how does the argument change when we factor in the amount of liquid fuel used for personal or commercial transportation not classified as on-road (rail/sea/air)?
    Jul 16 03:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America Earnings Update: It Beats Estimates But Does That Matter? [View article]
    The differing viewpoints on SA are a big reason why I think there is such value in this community. None of us are 100% correct on our picks, but we believe in them and have the courage to go on record. That being said...

An unfavorable view of the stock is completely understandable given what we know, and might become more understandable if additional unfavorable facts come to light. Nobody knows how deep the rabbit hole really is. And yet, therein lies the opportunity.

As for the selloff... Trading volume being higher than average is not unusual following any earnings report -- up, down, flat, whatever. The stock is down today. Fact. The stock is higher than it was on Friday. Also a fact. Can you call today's action a selloff? Sure, because it is down from yesterday and volume is slightly elevated. However, in my opinion we are better off calling what happened in April 2014 a selloff. That day was +340 million shares and down over 6% -- both well outside the normal daily action. If you are in this long term, you won't get hung up on one day's action that isn't very far outside the normal trading activity.

I don't mind reaching a different investment decision as long as we all get to retire early on the same golf course.
    Jul 16 01:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Windstream: Why Investors Should Brace For A Dividend Cut [View article]
    We were overdue for another "WIN dividend cut" article...
    Jul 16 11:38 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another big bank beats; this time BofA [View news story]
    Pretty flat pre-market. Works for me...
    Jul 16 09:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Medallion Financial: Take A Ride To Higher Dividends And Growing Wealth [View article]
    I'm tracking, and don't disagree necessarily. But new readers need to understand that analysis is more complex than simply running a screen for dividend yield. TTM earnings change much slower than the current stock price.
    Jul 14 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Opportunity? Maybe.

Word of caution for those just getting into this game... When the dividend seems high, look to see why it increased. In this case, a ~30% drop in the share price from the peak in November changed the denominator. So do your math, see where you expect earnings to go from here, and always remember that this is a fluid environment. The snapshot numbers aren't enough.
    Jul 14 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: The Party Is Over; Initiating With A Bearish View [View article]
    Huh? I'm holding. Not adding. Not selling.
    Jul 10 11:43 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment