William Rudder

View William Rudder's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Family Dollar/Dollar Tree Combination Still Too Small To Survive [View article]
    I appreciate the read, but I see the niche a little differently. When Amazon starts accepting coupons and EBT, I'll reconsider keeping Dollar Tree in my portfolio.
    Aug 2, 2014. 03:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Windstream REIT Spin-Off [View article]
    It all depends on how many shorts might even be left with today's 18x volume. I'm pretty sure one of them bought my shares this morning, so, ummm... Thanks!
    Jul 29, 2014. 09:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Windstream REIT Spin-Off [View article]
    Nope. Bounced out early this morning, put 10% back into long puts for some icing and will be all clear by the end of the day. I will reevaluate this stock once the dust settles.
    Jul 29, 2014. 02:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can We Ever Really Retire? Why Americans Stink At Math [View article]
    The "4" in "¼," larger than the "3" in "⅓," led them astray.

Are you KIDDING me????? :::reaching for another dose of heartburn meds:::

But I do agree with your premise...
    Jul 29, 2014. 02:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Trade That Netted Me More Than A 2,000% Return [View article]
    Congrats on a great move. Now go get the next one.
    Jul 29, 2014. 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Still Has Room To Run [View article]
    Jerome, you can pretty easily look at the chart on Google Finance and adjust it to see what you are looking for. I think adjusted for splits it is somewhere in the $70-75 range.
    Jul 26, 2014. 12:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Electric's Divesting Activities Positive For Shareholders [View article]
    Ratbert, I apologize for taking some time in addressing your question. However, I wanted to reread the corporate filings to make sure I was addressing your actual question.

I think you are asking me to explain how this transaction will work in your particular case. Based on the amended S-1, the details will not be laid out specifically until a future date. The company states they intend to complete the transaction in late 2015. However, the company does not appear bound to any particular method or timeframe based on the legal language, and the statement referring to a tax-free transaction describes the legal requirements before executing that type of move.

You can find the most recent filings at the link below. There will be more to discuss on this in the future. Thanks for speaking up -- you know plenty of other people have the same question.

Jul 26, 2014. 10:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great comment my911...

I completely agree with your sentiment about presence and what GE may lose by selling the division with respect to its history and the division's lineage to co-founder Thomas Edison.

Data from January 2014 indicated GE was number 2 in US market share for home appliances, and I do not have current data for global market share. If someone else has that, please chime in. That being said, GE has to determine if they can obtain a competitive advantage in overseas markets AFTER moving a bunch of jobs back to the US. It's possible, but placing a dollar cost on what that would take would be pretty difficult. It would be expensive to say the least, and not guaranteed to have the desired outcome.

When you consider that this money could be invested in the divisions where GE is clearly the top dog and gets better returns, the decision is not easy to make. There is massive value in the GE brand of appliances -- you are correct there. As a shareholder, I'd rather see some kind of spinoff as opposed to a straight sale to keep that brand alive. But at the end of the day, everything is for sale at the right price. Even the legacy of GE home appliances and lighting.

Conglomerates DO operate across multiple sectors. You are right there, too. But management is not required to keep every division that turns a profit, no matter how small. This division turned a $102 million profit on $2.1 billion in revenue last quarter -- pretty weak compared to some other divisions. But there were no takers in 2008, so we will see what happens this time. The story isn't over yet.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
    Jul 25, 2014. 11:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BofA to pay small fine over sanctions violations [View news story]
    $91,000 over a period of 3 1/2 years. Average transaction was around $500 or so?
    Jul 25, 2014. 01:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BofA to pay small fine over sanctions violations [View news story]
    Just a bit over the top with that one. Follow the links, read the whole story, and do the math...
    Jul 25, 2014. 08:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BofA to pay small fine over sanctions violations [View news story]
    And that $16.6 million goes to..........?
    Jul 24, 2014. 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Still Has Room To Run [View article]
    Good call on the announcement timing. I have no doubt that an increase would have provided a bump, but maintaining it right now doesn't really hurt either.
    Jul 24, 2014. 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Provides Stability, Growth And Dividends [View article]
    Thanks, Dodger. I'm curious about the management issue you address so I guess I'll do some more reading. I wish I'd gotten in at a price like yours, but I'll take what I have now.
    Jul 22, 2014. 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Provides Stability, Growth And Dividends [View article]
    Thanks for the reply cc. The statement about finding stable yield in an uncertain world makes good sense.
    Jul 22, 2014. 04:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is General Electric The Perfect Company? [View article]
    No disagreement here that something had to be done. However, I empathize with those who were heavily invested in GE in 2009 and/or relied upon that dividend for retirement income. The issue arose with the televised interview in January 2009 stating the dividend was absolutely safe. Five weeks later, it was cut with no warning. That won't be forgotten by those "investors" any time soon, and I do not blame anyone for being angry to this day.

I am fortunate to be in a completely different situation. Still long. Still holding.
    Jul 21, 2014. 03:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment