William Rudder

View William Rudder's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Bank Of America Earnings Update: It Beats Estimates But Does That Matter? [View article]
    The differing viewpoints on SA are a big reason why I think there is such value in this community. None of us are 100% correct on our picks, but we believe in them and have the courage to go on record. That being said...

An unfavorable view of the stock is completely understandable given what we know, and might become more understandable if additional unfavorable facts come to light. Nobody knows how deep the rabbit hole really is. And yet, therein lies the opportunity.

As for the selloff... Trading volume being higher than average is not unusual following any earnings report -- up, down, flat, whatever. The stock is down today. Fact. The stock is higher than it was on Friday. Also a fact. Can you call today's action a selloff? Sure, because it is down from yesterday and volume is slightly elevated. However, in my opinion we are better off calling what happened in April 2014 a selloff. That day was +340 million shares and down over 6% -- both well outside the normal daily action. If you are in this long term, you won't get hung up on one day's action that isn't very far outside the normal trading activity.

I don't mind reaching a different investment decision as long as we all get to retire early on the same golf course.
    Jul 16, 2014. 01:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Windstream: Why Investors Should Brace For A Dividend Cut [View article]
    We were overdue for another "WIN dividend cut" article...
    Jul 16, 2014. 11:38 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another big bank beats; this time BofA [View news story]
    Pretty flat pre-market. Works for me...
    Jul 16, 2014. 09:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Medallion Financial: Take A Ride To Higher Dividends And Growing Wealth [View article]
    I'm tracking, and don't disagree necessarily. But new readers need to understand that analysis is more complex than simply running a screen for dividend yield. TTM earnings change much slower than the current stock price.
    Jul 14, 2014. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Opportunity? Maybe.

Word of caution for those just getting into this game... When the dividend seems high, look to see why it increased. In this case, a ~30% drop in the share price from the peak in November changed the denominator. So do your math, see where you expect earnings to go from here, and always remember that this is a fluid environment. The snapshot numbers aren't enough.
    Jul 14, 2014. 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: The Party Is Over; Initiating With A Bearish View [View article]
    Huh? I'm holding. Not adding. Not selling.
    Jul 10, 2014. 11:43 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Citigroup Prepares To Write Obama A $7 Billion Check; Investors Should Steer Clear [View article]
    Does anyone have a realistic estimate of the checks that BAC will willingly write to political candidates of other parties next election cycle?
    Jul 9, 2014. 10:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seeking Alpha Strikes A Victory For Free Speech [View article]
    Great news. Thanks for letting us know.
    Jul 7, 2014. 01:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Yum A Tasty Investment? [View article]
    I would argue that every company is subject to this type of risk in some form. But you are probably correct in identifying operations in China and India as potentially riskier. The continued expansion is a great opportunity, but there are significant operational and cultural considerations.
    Jul 7, 2014. 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Yum A Tasty Investment? [View article]
    I liked YUM when they had the Chinese bird flu scare in 2013. That was obviously a temporary factor. I am currently out of the stock, and think at +$80 and under 2% yield I'll stay out for now.
    Jul 7, 2014. 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Has The Best Phone And May Develop The Best Ecosystem [View article]
    That is most likely the case, Gary. You should see me try to drink root beer.

Just saying the headline got my attention, and I'd have enjoyed a more thorough explanation.
    Jul 7, 2014. 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Has The Best Phone And May Develop The Best Ecosystem [View article]
    First, coffee about came out of my nose when I read the title. Then the article just abruptly ends before it really gets going.
    Jul 6, 2014. 08:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GoPro sees profit-taking; Ambarella higher on Garmin report [View news story]
    Like any rational person would be upset with pocketing +50% in four days.
    Jul 2, 2014. 02:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America Has Been Dead Money For 20 Years: Did They Fire The Right People? [View article]
    I see your point Don, I just happen to disagree. I viewed the transparency about the accounting error as a positive event despite the short-term hit to my unrealized gains. I also see the remaining legal issues as a temporary obstacle in my long-term portfolio. I expect the bank to eventually return to paying an acceptable dividend, and I am willing to wait based on my cost and time available.

Bank of America runs a business. Laying off employees is a business decision. Would WFC or HRTG retain employees adding no value to the bottom line because they have children?

Does anyone have more current numbers on how many employees still work in this division?
    Jul 2, 2014. 11:43 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Open Call To Apple Bears For Debate [View article]
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I'm long.
    Jul 1, 2014. 04:53 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment