William Shearer, Jr.

View William Shearer, Jr.'s Comments BY TICKER:
  • Are Herbalife Revenues Materially Overstated? [View article]
    5 months is plenty of time. Enron fell from ~$40 to ~$15 a share in only 2 months. It's less time than Ackman would like, but as they say, "it's not over until it's over".
    Jul 30 11:25 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Silicom: Upcoming Earnings And Strong Growth Prospects Signal Potential Upside [View article]
    Yes, the younger traders, who have no money, are clearly the cause of this massive drop. It couldn't *possibly* be the generation that has the vast majority of wealth, invented instant gratification, and ignores the future of the planet at future generations' expense, to satisfy the base desires of today.

Heck, you even admit it yourself in your post: "Old-school investors begin the inevitable march to retirement..." what, are they starting at 50?! How short sighted can you be? Because I personally doubt you're referring to Generation X with that comment...
    Jul 27 08:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "The stock is currently trading at $37.27, a price that is incredibly cheap considering the strong financials and growth prospect of the firm."

And here we are at $30. I plan to enter tomorrow at open. What a great entry opportunity! Thank you for the article.
    Jul 22 06:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • London's Housing Market Has Gone Bonkers [View article]
    The only way the immigration/investment model works is if wages rise to meet the inflated cost of housing. We have yet to see that happen, and I am not expecting to see US wages rise with so much cheap labor to be found from machines and from people living outside the US.
    Jun 27 09:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America's Risk-Adjusted Profits Looking Up [View article]
    I'm not much for technical analysis, so please feel free to correct me here...

All this chart tells me is that the hypothetical breakout has yet to come, which I think most BAC bulls would agree with. Maybe an announcement of a settlement with the DOJ might just be the catalyst bulls are looking for here?
    Jun 8 03:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T's Rumored Acquisition Of DirecTV May Boost Its Valuation To $55 [View article]
    Forgive my ignorance, but I thought Verizon had already bought a big chunk of VOD? Or was it that Verizon bought back most of VOD's stake in Verizon?
    May 19 12:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mark Zuckerberg, The Warren Buffett Of Technology? [View article]
    Zuckerberg is the total opposite of Buffett! Buffett looks for cheap stocks that have proven earning potential (energy companies, Coke, gilette, etc.) Zuckerberg looks for expensive hype that shows dubious earnings potential.

I can't believe share holders are tolerating this ridiculous spending. Almost 15% of the company's market cap has been spent on acquisitions in the last month and a half. Lunacy.
    Mar 26 11:54 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mark Zuckerberg, The Warren Buffett Of Technology? [View article]
    I'll preface this with my stance: I own FB puts.

Actually, Oculus has resolved motion sickness in a big way. They eliminated the frame lag that was the primary cause of motion sickness.

I do agree that VR really seems tangential to FB's model at best. Zuckerberg gave a decent justification, but I still don't buy it. I was very disappointed to hear about this acquisition. I had high hopes for Oculus. Not anymore.
    Mar 26 11:52 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Detailed Case To Short The S&P 500: This Time Isn't Different [View article]
    I think the author's point was more that the things that normally support increased valuations (i.e. increased consumption) are not present in the economy.
    Mar 24 10:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Detailed Case To Short The S&P 500: This Time Isn't Different [View article]
    Which facts would you say are truly important, then?
    Mar 24 07:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Detailed Case To Short The S&P 500: This Time Isn't Different [View article]
    My problem with this argument is that just because the American consumer isn't as loaded with debt as they were in 2008 doesn't mean they're not overloaded with debt.

Unfortunately, the harsh reality remains. Compound interest promises to make the respite from the crash only temporary, especially as QE continues to taper. It's only a matter of time before it all comes crashing down for real.

That, or the rich could pay their fair share of taxes, but we all know the financial apocalypse will come before that happens.
    Mar 24 07:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • At What Price Can The Pace Be Sustained? Insights Into Nissan's 10% Market Share Goal [View article]
    Now that we're a good year and a half + into the future, I have to say there's a good bit of foresight in this article. Nissan just announced that they want to focus more on profitability now as their market share targets are proving difficult to reach.
    Mar 7 12:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • All That Matters With Tesla [View article]
    To turn your point on its head, if we know that EV credits are ending, why not go short?

The problem with waiting is that the news of EV credits ending could be the catalyst to cause the stock to fall. You don't want go short too late in the game. Government credits can't give Tesla infinite valuation.
    Sep 13 03:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Bottom Is Not Yet In For Silver [View article]
    The fact that nobody has any money to spend supports my point about deflation being a potential threat, though. If nobody has any money to spend, there is a shortage of money compared to goods, and prices will need to come down if sellers wish to sell anything. Otherwise, regular folks will be using their money to pay off their debts which are becoming worse and worse due to the double whammy of deflation and interest instead.
    Aug 28 10:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bottom Is Not Yet In For Silver [View article]
    I am aware of that investment, a surprising turnaround in his long-held stance against precious metals. I feel the situation in 2006 is too far removed from the current situation to really give us much insight into the current scenario, however.

I think that there is some good reasoning behind why Warren is not buying silver right now.
    Aug 28 10:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment