Winston Kotzan

View Winston Kotzan's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Resurrection Of J. C. Penney: It's Not All About The Numbers [View article]
    Well said! When you consider that despite the horrible financial condition Johnson left the company in, they still do $12 billion in sales. Ullman was successful and bringing in customers before and there is a good chance he could bring them back. If JCP just manages to not go bankrupt, there's going to be the mother of all short squeezes.

Unfortunately, I don't think the positive news is going to be in this upcoming quarter. Like many business, JCP will probably be adversely affected by this unusually harsh winter weather. The results will probably show some improvement, but not enough to scare all the bears out.
    Feb 21, 2014. 02:19 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Mid-Tier IT Companies To Include In Your Portfolio [View article]
    Might want to also check out LXFT.
    Jan 15, 2014. 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's The Deal, LiveDeal, Inc.? [View article]
    Sounds like a pump and dump.
    Jan 12, 2014. 11:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potbelly Quiet Period Expiration Is Delicious For Investors [View article]
    Looks like others have had the same viewpoint as you did as the stock ran up to 30 again just before the quiet period expired. But as the analysts came out with mostly neutral ratings, the exuberance cooled. Stock is up again now after hours after reporting better than expected earnings. But expect this rally to be short lived as same store sales were only up 2%.
    Nov 12, 2013. 09:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • VIX Instruments: Investing In Volatility Is Volatile [View article]
    Nicely written article
    Sep 8, 2011. 10:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shorting Netflix: Lessons From My Poorly Timed Momentum Trade [View article]
    Does anyone besides me find any irony in the title "House of Cards"?
    Mar 19, 2011. 09:40 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shorting Netflix: Lessons From My Poorly Timed Momentum Trade [View article]
    You can be optimistic over a 5-year horizon, yet be uncertain on how to capitalize on short term opportunities is what I am trying to say. When I look at companies that 5 years ago that I considered to be expensive and "priced to perfection" (Chipotle is a good example, Google another one), I find that they did have their stumbling points, but the companies have endured and an investor who had a long-term horizon back then could realize some nice returns in the present day. The stumbling points were very hard to predict coming around the corner.
    Mar 14, 2011. 09:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shorting Netflix: Lessons From My Poorly Timed Momentum Trade [View article]
    I did some level of research before entering the trade, and on my initial investigations I did feel like the company had some good things going for it, but felt that the high stock price valuation would cause some major stumbles for the stock price. For me this was intended to be a "fun" trade at the onset - I thought there would be a very short term window to make some money on the momentum, but was a little late to the party. The Bank of America report caused me to rethink my initial thesis just to be sure I wasn't falling into some sort of self-confirming bias mindset. After reevaluating how the stock was trading, I decided that decisively conjecturing one direction or another too tough at the present time. Thanks for the constructive criticism.
    Mar 14, 2011. 09:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is H&R Block a Growth Stock? [View article]
    Terrific analysis, especially about the overblown risks. How do you feel about the legislation for more qualified tax preparers creating some labor supply constraints, as H&R Block relies on so many seasonal workers? If the new requirements for tax preparation are onerous, wouldn't that rule out a large number of the folks who possibly could be working for H&R Block?
    Feb 28, 2011. 07:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eclipsys: Uncertainty Eclipses an Optimistic Outlook [View article]
    This article contains two relevant charts. See
    Jul 9, 2009. 03:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil Bubble Breaking? Barron's Outlines the Case, But the Argument is Weak [View article]
    the article downplayed some of the factors driving oil upward, including the fact that new oil is getting more expensive to extract and refine. Plus, they only suggested oil falling back to $100... quite possibly temporary at that. I would say $100 oil is hardly a busted bubble.

Seems to me they used an intriguing headline to sell papers...
    Jun 22, 2008. 12:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing Into the End of the Hydrocarbon Age [View article]
    Electron age? I think we're a few centuries off from that utopia! I don't think people will catch on to the volt if it catches on fire like some of the initial tests.
    Jun 5, 2008. 06:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who's Really to Blame for Rising Oil? [View article]
    This article is nuts. We're out of the cheap, easy processing oil and are now moving to the sulfurous stuff that's difficult to extract. Processing costs alone are a reason that oil won't go down. Why is it so hard for people to understand that we have a finite supply of oil? There just ISN'T ANYMORE in the ground.

All Americans care about is being able to go on their summer road trips and take their kids to the soccer game. Now a billion Chinese people are warming up to the same idea. Oil scarcity is a mega disaster in the works.
    May 11, 2008. 05:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When Will Solar Achieve Grid Parity? We're Already There! [View article]
    Interesting perspective, taking into account the environmental costs. However, what are the environmental costs of building a solar panel? What toxic substances are released from their production and disposal life cycle?
    Apr 21, 2008. 03:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Homebuilders Emerge From the Penalty Box [View article]
    Part of it might be this tax loss carryback plan to rescue the reckless homebuilders:

It's a stupid initiative that will just keep feeding the oversupply of homes.
    Apr 7, 2008. 11:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment