Yield Hunter

View Yield Hunter's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Establishing A Core Portfolio [View instapost]
    Chowder-

I read that article, too, after the title was already changed, so I have no idea what all the commotion was about and I completely agree with your sentiment.

Also, I really appreciate your feedback and giving us some personal historical perspective. As a young hoping-to-be investor, numbers and facts are nice, but I think it helps to see a little bit of the person behind also, so thank you.
    Feb 4, 2013. 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Establishing A Core Portfolio [View instapost]
    First of all, thanks for your posts. Think about how much money you could make if you just submitted them as premium articles :)!

Second, and I'm just trying to learn more about one of the more personally influential posters on SA, you've had "core" positions since the mid-80's? I thought you were a trader in your youth? And you said you're not too close to retirement, but you have a child who's at least 27? (I must stress that I'm not questioning your veracity; I just feel that having a better picture of your story can help shape mine.)
    Feb 1, 2013. 01:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A High-Yielding MLP? Look Closer [View article]
    Taking out the consideration of EMH, this sounds like a possible opening into a trading strategy. By paying attention to how the large the spreads are, and the fact that the distributions would necessarily trail spreads by at least one quarter, you may be able to jump in and out for higher distributions. How does that sound?
    Feb 1, 2013. 11:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 19 Things I Like About Dividends [View article]
    There was an article recently on SA (I don't remember which one) that stated that AAPL has enough cash to pay dividends with small increases for at least a few years, before taking into consideration any profits over those next several years.

I personally dislike all things AAPL, but I admit to purchasing a few shares because it's so cheaply valued. It used to be considered a growth stock, but it was priced as a mature value play; now, it's 30-40% cheaper. Right now, the company is so strong and so popular- even the haters LOVE to hate it.

Just food for thought.
    Feb 1, 2013. 09:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 19 Things I Like About Dividends [View article]
    you can try googling "Financing Retirement: The Cistern Analogy" it's the first result. sometimes getting there a different way will clear the error
    Jan 31, 2013. 04:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 19 Things I Like About Dividends [View article]
    SDS- very interesting stat!

And thank you to both for addressing the second point. I was hoping that I was missing something. There's just so much to learn.
    Jan 31, 2013. 02:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 19 Things I Like About Dividends [View article]
    halflink- No prob bob! Either you sounded a little confused, or I was not understanding your question, and either way, I wanted to get it right. Thanks.

Also, do you think the lowering payout ratios has had a direct effect on the broad market increase (I know it started going much higher as early as the 80's, relative to historical levels)? In other words, the increase in retained earnings actually did drive up market price?
    Jan 31, 2013. 02:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 19 Things I Like About Dividends [View article]
    Thanks very much!
    Jan 31, 2013. 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 19 Things I Like About Dividends [View article]
    My apologies. It sounded like your were asking one question, in which case, it could theoretically be that the S&P yield is 2% while its payout is 110%. I think the "ie" is what got me confused.
    Jan 31, 2013. 02:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 19 Things I Like About Dividends [View article]
    is "cistern" an article your wrote? would you mind please linking it? thanks.
    Jan 31, 2013. 01:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 19 Things I Like About Dividends [View article]
    Great article. I think the mere fact that so many of the reasons listed overlap underscores their significance!

1) What are your views of DGI v. value investing? I used to think of them as strongly related, but now I'm not so sure. My limited impression is that there are little to no "real" values left in the DG universe because over the last several years, its powerful little secret (thanks to SA and others) is out of the bag. (That is not to say DG stocks are overpriced.)

2) I was thinking about DGI recently and the thought occurred- if you reinvest the dividends, or even purchase another stock, you sort of lose out on the past dividend growth, since your new yield on the currently reinvested cash will be whatever yield is in the market price today. (Of course, you would not have had the size of dividend without past growth.) I guess there's no way around it, assuming as true that market price will generally correlate to increased dividends, as you've pointed out.
    Jan 31, 2013. 01:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 19 Things I Like About Dividends [View article]
    halflink-

Technically, the payout ratio and yield are two different things (although certainly related).
    Jan 31, 2013. 01:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Value Investment Criteria And Company Selection Process [View article]
    Informative article in that it lists very important criteria for evaluating. However, I think your style is very conclusory and I am no closer to properly the majority of your pass/fail tests.

For example, test "3" is invest with a 5-10 year horizon. You state that Oracle has had a great past 10 years and you are confidant it will be even stronger 10 years from now.

Assuming there is more to your analysis than a gut feeling, there is not enough direction here to allow me to apply the nuts and bolts of this article to another company. I am only raising the issue because I think your categories are all crucial to proper evaluation, I am lacking in my knowledge/skills/ability to appropriately analyze stocks, and I am looking for more information regarding these sort of things.
    Jan 31, 2013. 10:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Active Investing Beat The Market? [View article]
    If you bought the inverse and the trend stuck, you would be up a little (half?). If the trend reversed, which I think is the basic assumption behind his theory, you'll be down a little. By utilizing the same direction, you take advantage of the mean reversion or something to that effect- sooner or later it will go back, and you'll cash in big time.

It might be kind of like the slow way to win in blackjack- every hand that you lose, bet double the next hand. I.e. if you lose $1, bet $2, then $4, then $9, then $18. Sooner or later your bound to come back.
    Jan 30, 2013. 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Active Investing Beat The Market? [View article]
    What would be the effects of everyone dumping all their money into indexes? In order to match market or beat currently, you have all the losers on the bottom half of the average (approximately). If there was nobody on the bottom, there can't really be anybody on top, and everyone would be in the middle? But then who would buy/sell to cause the market to move? Please fill me in on the stuff I'm missing.
    Jan 30, 2013. 08:27 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment