Yield Hunter

View Yield Hunter's Comments BY TICKER:
  • AIG - Buy It Today For Value And Sell Covered Calls For A 37.5% Annualized Yield Rate [View article]
    Question for the masses:

Can you say it's generally more profitable to roll covered calls that are in the money, or let them expire and sell the puts? Obviously the premium from the new call will be decreased by the price to close the old one, but how would it play out over a longer period? Thanks.
    Feb 13, 2013. 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Establishing My Dividend Growth Strategy And Portfolio As A New Investor [View article]
    I use Tradeking and I've been happy with them. They also drip partial shares. They recently merged with Zecco, which I believe is Canadian. I think I once heard that there's something complicated with using brokers from a different country; if so, Tradeking might be worth looking at.
    Feb 12, 2013. 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nice article.

First of all, I don't know your experience with google news alerts, but I'm not impressed by it. Most of the articles are a day old, and oftentimes I'll get articles that are over a week old!

Second of all, as someone without a portfolio to compare, I suggest getting into some utilities. Even if you cannot get the same growth out of this segment of your portfolio, it could provide a certain stability and strength.

Also, you mention that your secondary holdings are already holdings, but then you said that if you purchase some of the secondary holdings, it may raise your portfolio's beta.

I think there was another comment I wanted to make, but I forgot it in such a long article. And I mean that in a good way. I don't like when seems like people just write a couple paragraphs to "get something out there."
    Feb 12, 2013. 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Managing Your Portfolio - Weightings [View instapost]
    And then, when one of your kids stops making their quarterly (hopefully monthly!) contributions, you kick em to the curb, even if it means taking a loss! Sorry, I had to.

I would suggest, further, that if you can get more into your tax deferred accounts, do so. Obviously there are limits to what you can contribute, and when you hit those limits, you would consider your investment choices for the taxable account contributions, e.g. REITS or non-municipal bonds.

Also, I don't think there should be much concern with keeping your two Roths (or the three accounts together) equally balanced at this point, because there is not much risk that your broker will go bankrupt and take all your money with you. SIPC insurance should cover all of your assets (if your accounts are $120k). See http://bit.ly/PUlpGK and other such google search results. That said, with G-d's help, your portfolio will BLOW PAST the SIPC limits, and you can start planning now by more equally dividing your accounts. So, in a nutshell, I've said nothing and listen to chowder!
    Feb 12, 2013. 09:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your insight, definitely a lot to absorb. I still have a bit of negative stigma towards trading options, but little by little I'm seeing the benefits+safeness.

These few posts in this comment stream are why I read SA.
    Feb 12, 2013. 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    heli-

Thanks for your time and reply; that's a really good primer right there! I'm slightly pleased with the progression of my options education, as most of what you just said is familiar to me. A couple weeks ago I started dabbling with paper trades for buying puts and calls. Needless to say, I'm glad they were only paper!

I was confused by what I thought you wrote above, that you would write puts and then use those premiums to buy calls, and *that* would boost your returns. I thought I was completely missing something, but I was only partially missing something.

When you said you're short the yen, do you mean you sold puts?

And everything is naked if I don't own the stock or cash secure the put?

Thanks again.
    Feb 11, 2013. 05:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'm still relatively new to options. Can you please explain how you buy calls to boost returns? Thanks.
    Feb 10, 2013. 11:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I'll third this opinion. I have small position which is currently more than 20% below my purchase price, but I've been able to make up almost 10% by buying it through a put and selling covered calls. Now, when the stock goes back up, my basis is effectively 10% lower than it otherwise would be! You might want to be careful, though, that if you write calls on a stock that's below purchase, to try and write calls for your purchase price, so at least you won't lock in a loss. That's just my opinion, and it's very possibly more psychological than good strategy.
    Feb 10, 2013. 11:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Procter & Gamble: Breakout? [View article]
    Gentlemen, thank you very much!
    Feb 10, 2013. 10:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investors: You Got To Do The Work [View article]
    Blue-

As far as my understanding goes, as others have stated, beta is just a measure of volatility. Technically, if S&P 500 has beta of 1 and company X has beta of .5, the company's stock will move half as much as S&P 500, e.g. if the latter moves 2% on any given day, the stock will likely (over time, in order to get the beta value) only move 1%; notably, though, the two will *not necessarily* move in the same direction.

I assume, based on nothing more than a whim, that the studies which found that low beta stocks outperformed the broad market over the long haul would likewise find that many of the stocks did not move the same direction as the broad market every day. And I think this is logical; big blue chip "safe" stocks often have beta<1, and if the stock is less effected by noise/emotional traders, it can move up even if the market is moving down. And stuff like that.
    Feb 10, 2013. 12:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Procter & Gamble: Breakout? [View article]
    what's the simplest way to figure out whether foreign stocks are subject to different withholding rules? thanks.
    Feb 9, 2013. 09:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking Beyond The Obvious To Find An 11.2% Yield On StoneMor Partners [View article]
    It looks like the increasing distribution has been for 7 years, not 12, I think.
    Feb 8, 2013. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CVI - A 5.5% Dividend Likely To Grow. Sell The March $52 Puts Now [View instapost]
    My jury's still out on selling puts to purchase, but I definitely like the idea.

I've heard selling options for right after earnings releases are a bad idea: if the report is bad, the stock might plummet, and you purchased "too high;" if the report is good, you won't get put.

Now, I understand that you will be harvesting a nice yield via premium, but there's at least a decent chance you will lose out greater than that in capital gains. Especially if you think this company is so strong right now, a good earnings report and subsequent pop might be expected.
    Feb 8, 2013. 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Accelerate Dividend Growth With Capital Gains [View article]
    support was at 50 or 55?

thanks to your encouragement, i actually see that big down bar, much like the big up RIG bar you've been talking about!
    Feb 7, 2013. 05:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 12 Things To Dislike About Dividend Investing [View article]
    I happened to look at VZ and T this morning, and VZ's p/e ratio is over 140?! And both of their payout ratios are over 100%? Is that standard for telcoms? Without knowing anything more, it sounds like these are two companies to avoid. What information am I missing, please?
    Feb 7, 2013. 12:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment