Zach Tripp

View Zach Tripp's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Build A 'Whatever Happens' Portfolio... Now [View article]
    My Rollover IRA is setup as a "whatever happens" portfolio and it is very similar to Craig L. Israelsen's 7Twelve portfolio. I recommend it.

Aug 16 08:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Surprising New Portfolio Diversifier [View article]
    Thank for the article Eric. Are utilities really a long-term diversifier though? Over the long-term the correlation should revert to the mean, no? If you are tailor a short-term portfolio than this may be more helpful, but, short-term portfolios do not necessary what diversification if one is always moving assets to the best performing (or hope to be best performing) asset classes.

Also, the notation of using utilities has been around the block. There is a strategy of switching between the Dow Industrial and Dow Utilities.

An Intermarket Approach to Beta Rotation: The Strategy, Signal, and Power of Utilities http://bit.ly/1ygOdf4
    Aug 9 10:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is It Wrong To Take A Position In A Stock And Then Write About It On Seeking Alpha? [View article]
    Nice write up Dave and I have struggled with this myself. Typically, I am long when I write about a stock because I just finished my fundamental analysis and that is what I am sharing. I do try to be perfectly clear my positions. I have actually updated comments when I have sold stock also.
    Aug 7 01:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart's Potential Gain From The Market Basket Crisis [View article]
    Hello wizwor- I am (was) a Market Basket customer and also still refer to them as Demoulas. I have seen the empty parking lots. I have not been in the store but family members have and the ones around them are empty.

I saw the shear madness at Walmart over the weekend (southern NH). I talked to my parents on the phone (eastern NH) and they experienced the same condition. Finally, at work in Mass., at the lunch table someone having the exact conversation about their Walmart experience.

It was time to crunch some numbers. The results are in the article.
    Aug 2 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart's Potential Gain From The Market Basket Crisis [View article]
    Thank you for reading my article serf- Sure, Hannaford's, Shaw, Price Chopper and what is left of Stop and Shop will have an impact. I assumed only 50% of the shoppers went to Walmart, those being the most cost sensitive. My parents (east side of the state), have three choices, Market Basket, Hannaford's and Walmart. My choices (southern center of the state) are Market Basket, Shaw's and Walmart (Stop and Shop closed - which was my favorite).

Just yesterday I was at soccer practice and one of the moms said, and I quote, "I hope this Market Basket thing gets fixed soon, I can not afford another week of shopping at Shaw's". Which I think echo's Mollycosmo's comments below.
    Aug 2 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wal-Mart's Potential Gain From The Market Basket Crisis [View article]
    Thank you for the comment devlau20- we usually shop at Market Basket and occasionally shop at Walmart for groceries if we are in the store some something else. I agree, in the past there would be certain items that will be poorly stocked or unstocked, but nothing to the degree I saw last weekend.
    Aug 2 09:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diversified ETF Portfolio Performance For Q2 2014 [View article]
    I 100% agree Edward. The point is not output the market (as measured by the S&P 500). I do compare to the S&P 500 as a benchmark because it is what most people are familiar with and provides a point of reference.

I am pleased with the performance, for 80/20 Stock/Bond, 5% total return in the first half is not that bad.
    Jul 12 07:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fidelity 7Twelve Diversified Protfolio [View instapost]
    Thank you for reading my post. I have a Rollover IRA already with Fidelity (bug fan of Vanguard, that is where by RothIRA and other investments live). I am glad it is working well for you. My Fidelity account has a very similar asset allocation, I am taking this chance to equal weight everything and switch as many funds as possible to index funds...
    Jul 6 09:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Vanguard updates fees on 9 ETFs [View news story]
    0.09%, wow, especially combined with commission free through Vanguard.
    Jun 28 10:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GT Advanced Technologies Update: Latest Supply Chain Check [View article]
    Don't forget, Thomas Gutierrez (CEO) has referred to the sapphire business as "recurring revenue", which positive and negative. Have a recurring revenue stream is what GTAT needs to smooth out cycles in other business areas and during research stages of new technologies. I agree these revenue will probably be lower margin.

Thomas Gutierrez has also said on numerous calls that they are much more than a sapphire company......
    Jun 13 08:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2013 Diversified ETF Portfolio Review: Lesson In Poor Diversification; 2014 Thesis [View article]
    Kumon- thanks for reading. I can not be too much help with PIE. I do not know that index very well. For emerging markets, having a broader more diversified exposure is probably best for the long-run. Playing the momentum game with emerging markets seems difficult. The expense ratio is nothing to sneeze at either.
    May 21 09:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Link to Q1-2014 performance: http://seekingalpha.co...
    May 21 09:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Invest Using Stocks' Price to Free Cash Flow [View article]
    First of all, excellent article, thank you Mycroft. Second of all, love the DJIA backtest. So simple. Third, I came across this article after doing research on ROIC. Most calculations is EBITA (which I do not like) and wanted to see if anyone used FCF (which I prefer). My best investment have been companies with high FCF Yield.
    Apr 23 09:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Only 20 Companies That Matter [View article]
    Nice article. I am curious if each example of "profit" is actually referring to the same number on the income (or cash flow) statement. When looking at individual companies, Profit as a percentage of global GDP may not be as much value as profit as a percent of revenue.

In this article I show that the S&P500 had the highest EPS margin to revenue since 2001 and a relative high TTM P/E ratio.

Apr 9 08:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Orbit International Is Attractive And At A Key Inflection Point [View article]
    tough day today but for a long-term holder, this may be a nice entry point. Net Current Asset Per Share is $3.17 (current assets - total liabilities).
    Mar 6 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment