Zach Tripp

View Zach Tripp's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Algorithmic Industry Momentum Investing [View article]
    Emmanuel- curious if you are willing to re-run the study as-is until Jan-2-2104 and start a fresh study Jan-2-2013.

Typically these trading systems do not perform well in bull markets (even though there are sectors that out-perform the benchmark) and they are very sensitive to start date.

BTW- nicely written article.
    Jan 3, 2014. 09:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Understanding Air T's Low Valuations In Relation To Its Big Daddy [View article]
    Yes, I saw the negative change in account receivables, that means that revenue that they counted on the income statement really did not come through, correct?
    Dec 19, 2013. 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    oops, second set of numbers should be "cash" and the Dec-2012 "CASH" should be $9,538,000 as opposed to $3,849,000. Sorry about that, cut and paste gone horribly wrong.
    Dec 6, 2013. 08:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    AIRT has come up in a couple of my screens also. I have avoided purchasing due to the negative cash flow from operations. The last three quarters have had negative cash flow from operations. This is also reflected in at least 4 quarters of decreasing cash reserves.

I do not consider AIRT profitable.

If the cash reserved decreases next quarter again, they will be very close to have to use debt to fund day-to-day activities.

Dec-2012 O.C.F.: $9,538,000
    Mar-2013 O.C.F.: ($258,000)
    June-2013 O.C.F.: ($542,000)
    Sept-2013 O.C.F.: ($4,887,000)

Dec-2012 O.C.F.: $3,849,000
    Mar-2013 O.C.F.: $9,197,000
    June-2013 O.C.F.: $7,824,000
    Sept-2013 O.C.F.: $3,673,000

Thoughts? Am I missing something? If AIRT is profitable, where did the $4,151,000 go (June-2013 to Sept-2013)?
    Dec 6, 2013. 04:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GT Advanced Technologies: Reading The Tea Leaves [View article]
    $GTAT Very impressed with Tom Gutierrez, I think he took over in 2005 if I recall and has steered the ship very well (imho).
    Nov 30, 2013. 09:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microchip Technology Poised For 27% Capital Appreciation With 4.4% Dividend Yield [View article]
    22-Nov-2013 Update: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Nov 22, 2013. 10:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GT Advanced Technologies: Reading The Tea Leaves [View article]
    Have to be honest. Long-time holder of $GTAT. I missed the perfect buying opportunity. Looking back, what I did not do was what I said. I should of written down what price I would consider adding to my position, regardless of weak revenue, then reviewed on a quarterly basis.
    Nov 22, 2013. 09:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Investing In Dividend Champions At Sound Valuation Reduces Risk And Increases Return [View article]
    Another great article Chuck. Keep up the great work.
    Nov 10, 2013. 09:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diversified ETF Portfolio Performance For Q1 2013 [View article]
    Here is a link to the results for Q2-2013:

Oct 7, 2013. 09:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hooker Furniture: Company-Specific Risks Create An Opportunity On The Short Side [View article]
    Well written article, thank you. It always nice to see a fair comparsion of companies in the same industry. I really enjoy the comparsion of conference calls.

Long: BSET
    Sep 18, 2013. 01:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bassett Furniture: Now Is The Time To Buy [View article]
    Also, how repeatable is the Income from Continued Dumping and Subsidy Offset Act (which are funds provided from the U.S. Treasury as a result of favorable legal action against Chinese suppliers that dumped furniture in the U.S.)? Last FY, it was 33% of the total Net Income.
    Sep 9, 2013. 09:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bassett Furniture: Now Is The Time To Buy [View article]
    Shaun- thank you for your article and I agree with all of your points. I have been wanting to buy BSET with a P/B below 1.0. My only concern is the negative Free Cash Flow. The last four quarters have all had negative free cash flow. They are not covering their dividend, share buyback or debt reduction (all positive company actions I like to see, btw).

Thoughts? Concerns?
    Sep 7, 2013. 03:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Business Development Companies: A Blended Portfolio [View article]
    Nice article. Big fan of TCAP.

Long: TCAP and PSEC.
    Aug 30, 2013. 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microchip For Solid Growth And Dividends [View article]
    Very reasonable dividend policy.

Long: $MCHP
    Aug 28, 2013. 01:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Relative Expected Value Analysis Suggests McDonald's Stock Could Be 47% Undervalued [View article]
    Thank you for the nice write up. Always looking for different ways to value a company / it's future stock price.

To follow up on other's comments, some of the assumptions of future growth may not be conservative enough. I understand it is for illustrative purposes only.

I will phrase the other comments differently, I would be curious to see a sensitivity analysis. How much that the 'undervalue' of MCD change with small changes in assumptions, like dividend growth rate, or inflation.

One last note/comment, I have always found it difficult doing any work / valuation with dividends from mutual funds or ETF because of the constant changing in number of shares.
    Aug 24, 2013. 07:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment