Zach Tripp

View Zach Tripp's Comments BY TICKER:
  • S&P 500 Snapshot: The Rally Stalls [View article]
    Thanks for the great charts Doug. Never have been a fan of the inflation-adjusted S&P 500. It is interesting, but that is it. I think the "un-adjusted", or nominal, numbers are inflation adjusted since they occurred during the actual inflationary (or non-inflationary) times.

I would be curious to see S&P 500 revenue adjusted for inflation to see if there is any real revenue growth after inflation, or put another way, what percentage of revenue growth is similar a result of inflation.
    May 1 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria Offers Both EPS And Dividend Growth [View article]
    I only have the last 10-K in my notes, but the dividend paymnet was 89% of FCF. Share buyback was 28% of FCF.

Glad to see the increase in EPS come msotly from improving operations. It has been a while since I have dug into MO's 10-Q/10-K, I should revisit.

Thank you Albert for the reply.
    May 1 12:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria Offers Both EPS And Dividend Growth [View article]
    Thanks for the nice article. I would be curious to see the change in cash flow (both from operations and free cash flow) from the same period last year.

Also, a review of the dividend as compared to free cash flow would be interesting analysis.

Where is future growth coming from? Share buybacks?

Long: MO & PM
    Apr 27 09:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: Financial Shenanigans, Painful Truth Coming [View article]
    I do not think the author gets compensation because this article is also on his blog.

Regardless, I think part of writing on Seeking Alpha should be managing the comments also. Personally, sometimes I learn more from interaction in the comments than the actual article.

I also agree as previously stated, if you disagree with the article, state why. All authors, regardless of medium/forum, should be questioned for motive or basis. That should go without saying.
    Apr 24 09:23 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: Financial Shenanigans, Painful Truth Coming [View article]
    Q1 Rev for 2013 was $31,356 vs. $31,822 Million year ago.

Operating Cash Flow for Q1 2013 was $8,199 Million vs. $7,845 Million year ago. 4.5% increase with decreasing revenue. Q1-2013 26.15% of Rev., Q1-2012 24.65% of Rev.

Free Cash Flow for Q1 2013 was $3,881 Million vs. $3,519 year ago. 10.29% increase.

Dividend for Q1 2013 was $2,502 Million vs. $2,606 Million year ago - 4% reduction, thank you share buyback.

Dividend payout for Q1-2013 = 64.47% vs. 74.06% year ago, directionally positive.
    Apr 23 04:45 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: Financial Shenanigans, Painful Truth Coming [View article]
    Nice article and looking forward to the authors comments.

Couple of my comments, I have been concerned over $T FCF as of late. I would be curious to learn about details of the pension.

Like other comments, a few points. Buying back shares is not a Shenanigan. Personally, not a huge fan of share buyback, but for a dividend paying stock, reducing share count is a great way to increase dividend per share without increase the actual dividend dollar amount. I think that is wise in the long run.

How do you know their debt is for dividends? Their debt increase could be for share buyback with the logic they can reduce the actual reduction dividend $ amount to pay debt and "be ahead of the game" at the end of the day (or decade when it really pays off). The debt could also be for CapEx or other expenses.

If you look at FCF minus Dividend minus Share Buyback, they are burning cash.
    Apr 22 09:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Analysis Of The CNBC.com ETF Portfolio [View article]
    I agree in regards to a ETF vs.ETN. I have to look at $BIZD.
    Apr 16 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Analysis Of The CNBC.com ETF Portfolio [View article]
    I like $BDCS for "opportunity". High yield and total return. Could have some beta and interest rate risk since BDC's do have a certain degree of leverage.

Long: BDCS
    Apr 15 09:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does Momentum Investing Actually Work? [View article]
    Steve in TN, am I looking at the right fund? FUNDX has only out-performed 3% of the funds in the Large Growth category, per Yahoo!Finance. http://yhoo.it/XwrUDq
    Apr 12 11:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rebalance Periodically, Review Frequently [View article]
    Thanks for the article, I have always been a fan of re-balancing. He is a study I conducted a couple years ago:

Mar 16 03:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 BDCs To Buy For Up To 11.7% Dividend Yields [View article]
    There is also a nice ETF that tracks a bucket of BDC, ticker: $BDCS. It pays a quarterly dividend. Last four dividends equlaed $1.758/share which is about 6.5% yield. Average volume though is 28k shares.

Was long BDCS for most of last year (in a DRiP account). Took profits in January, which I still held it...
    Mar 15 10:54 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An ETF That Tracks Consistent Dividend Payers [View article]
    Thanks Tom!
    Mar 11 03:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An ETF That Tracks Consistent Dividend Payers [View article]
    Hi Tom, thanks for the article. I do enjoy your pieces. I was hoping for a little more information. Is SDY a true index? What is the metrology for constituents in the S&P High Yield Dividend Aristocrats Index? How often is the S&P index re-balanced? How are the constituents in the S&P index weighted? What is the tracking error between the S&P Index and SDY? What is the performance difference between the S&P 1500, S&P 500, and the S&P High Yield Dividend Aristocrats Index? What is the dividend payment history for SDY (as compared to say the S&P 500)?
    Mar 9 09:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Small Cap ETFs Still Beautiful? [View article]
    Interesting article Gary, but isn't minor tweaks based on a three month window a loser's game? If your theory is that over the next 3 months large cap will be down less than small-cap, wouldn't cash be a better option?

I have always questioned this portfolio jockeying and whether it adds any long-term value.

I guess if I was to actively manager my portfolio on a 3-month basis (which I do not), I would be inclined to take my small-cap cost basis off the table (leaving profit on the table) and re-entering after a pull-back.

For disclosure, I do value average in my 401K, which means I do sell from time to time when a fund "over performs" for a given period of time. I have one fund per sector/style/asset class. At the end of January, I sold shares in my mid-cap, small-cap and international fund.
    Feb 26 09:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • ZAGG: Undervalued And Forgotten [View article]
    I am curious to this earnings report. There is a good chance the fundmentals will improve even more. The million dollar question is wheather investor are going to pay the approraiate multiple for the growth. Wheather it is valid or not, I think most investors see the growth as short-term.
    Feb 26 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment