Today - Sunday, December 8, 2013
5:25 AMSupreme Court justice blocks last-ditch try to stop AMR-US deal
- The merger of American Airlines' (AAMRQ) and US Airways (LCC) is all set to take off tomorrow after Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg denied a last-minute effort by consumer groups and travel agents to prevent the deal from taking place.
- The plaintiffs fear that the deal will force prices up, hurt services and make planes more crowded.
5:02 AMBain, Golden Gate enter battle for Compuware
- Bain and Golden Gate Capital have reportedly teamed up to make a bid for software provider Compuware (CPWR), whose market cap is $2.34B.
- The private-equity firms agreed to acquire larger rival BMC Software (BMC) in May, although they wouldn't necessarily merge Compuware with BMC.
- Bain and Golden Gate could face competition from Thoma Bravo and Vista Capital.
- Any deal could represent an exit for activist investor Elliot Management, Compuware's largest shareholder with an 8.6% holding. Elliot tried to buy Compuware a year ago but was rebuffed.