real-time news and commentary for investors
Wednesday, Jul 31
Lincoln National buybacks boost results
- Q2 operating income of $351M or $1.27 per share up, 10% Y/Y dollar-wise and 14.2% on a per share basis (share count fell about 14M shares to 276M).
- Book value per share (excluding AOCI) of $43.21 up 13.2% from a year ago.
- Buybacks made below book value really do work - 4.3M shares repurchased in Q2 for $150M, 15.7M shares repurchased since June 30, 2012.
- Annuities operating income of $195M up 23% Y/Y.
- Retirement plan services income of $39M up marginally from last year.
- Life insurance income of $183M up 43% as company strategy focused on higher return, less interest-sensitive products. Pivot product sales up 137%. Guaranteed universal life sales off 30% and accounted for just 15% of Q2 sales.
- Earnings call tomorrow at 10 ET. (PR)
- Earlier: Earnings report.
- LNC +1% AH to $42.08.