real-time news and commentary for investors
Thursday, Aug 8
China Unicom moving up on H1 results; rivals also higher
- China Unicom (CHU +6.5%), China's second-largest mobile carrier, is trading up after releasing H1 results.
- The carrier's H1 numbers impressed, with revenue of 144.31B yuan up 19% Y/Y and earnings of 5.32B yuan (3.43B yuan a year ago) surpassing a consensus of 4.89B yuan.
- Profitability continues to rise as the first carrier to adopt the iPhone in China reaps the rewards of out-sized subscription and data revenue growth.
- 3G ARPU fell to 77.6 yuan (from 91.8 yuan a year ago), as CHU reeled in less wealthy 3G subs via low-cost smartphones.
- Shares were temporarily halted in afternoon Hong Kong trading after results were accidentally pre-released on a government website.
- Rivals China Mobile (CHL +1.5%) and China Telecom (CHA +2.1%) are up in sympathy.