real-time news and commentary for investors
Friday, Aug 9
Report: Amazon joining Android console fray
- Sources tell Game Informer Amazon (AMZN +0.3%) is working on an Android game console, replete with a dedicated game controller, and plans to launch it later this year, "most likely by Black Friday."
- Amazon will reportedly leverage "titles already available on its platform." Presumably the site is talking about the Appstore for Android.
- VentureBeat says it has previously heard rumors of an Amazon console, and say the company has been hiring numerous game developers. However, the site adds a couple of its sources "weren’t sure if Amazon was serious about the project."
- Crowdfunded startup Ouya recently launched a $99 Android console to mixed reviews, and the WSJ has reported Google is working on its own Android console. Apple has added game controller support to iOS 7, which could open the door to console-like home gaming (perhaps via Apple TV). Meanwhile, Nvidia has launched its Shield handheld Android console.
- Developer support for controller-based Android gaming remains an issue. But the recent surge in hardware activity could change the situation quickly.
- Previous: Amazon set-top report