real-time news and commentary for investors
Monday, Aug 12
3D printer makers keep rallying; ExOne reports tomorrow
- 3D printer makers continue to surge following Stratasys' Thursday Q2 beat and revenue guidance hike. Stratasys (SSYS +7.3%) is making new highs, and 3D Systems (DDD +4.6%) and ExOne (XONE +6.3%) aren't too far removed from theirs.
- Short interests for the group remain considerable. As of July 31, 3D Systems had 29% of its float shorted, Stratasys had 12%, and ExOne had 32%.
- Valuations are also elevated: 3D Systems trades at 39x 2014E EPS, Stratasys at 40x, and ExOne at 114x.
- Analyst have been happy to praise Stratasys' numbers. Needham (Buy) thinks there's "upside potential" to 2014 estimates (consensus is for 31% rev. growth to $596M) thanks to strong core growth and the Objet/MakerBot deals.
- ExOne reports after the close tomorrow.