real-time news and commentary for investors
Monday, Aug 12
Sina +5.8% AH following Q2 beat, strong guidance; Weibo revenue ramps
- Sina (SINA) expects Q3 revenue of $176M-$180M, well above a $165.5M consensus.
- Ramping Weibo monetization helped fuel the Q2 beat. Weibo ad revenue +209% Y/Y to $30M, and Weibo value-added service (VAS) revenue (games, membership fees) +186% to $7.7M. Weibo now makes up 24% of total revenue.
- Total ad revenue +17% Y/Y to $120.6M (+20% in Q1), total non-ad revenue +35% to $32.2M (only +17% in Q1).
- Ad revenue is expected to surge to $151M-$153M in Q3, but non-ad revenue is expected to drop to $25M-$27M thanks to a $6M Q/Q decline in mobile VAS revenue.
- Gross margin was 54%, up from 51% in Q1 and 53% a year ago.
- Another reason for the EPS beat: opex only rose 13% Y/Y, less than rev. growth of 20% and representing a sharp slowdown in growth from recent quarters. Lower marketing spend was partly responsible.
- CC at 9PM ET. Q2 results, PR