real-time news and commentary for investors
Wednesday, Aug 14
Tapering in September, but maybe with dissent, suggests Swonk with eye on Bullard
- Tapering is likely in September, tweets Diane Swonk, but it could be accompanied by a dissent if August's payroll data doesn't show improvement.
- The dissent she's speaking of could be St. Louis' Jim Bullard - worried about low inflation and a taper schedule more about dates than data, he dissented at the June meeting. Bullard voted with the crowd in July though as the FOMC tweaked its policy statement to note concern with inflation below the 2% target.
- Bullard will be heard from later today.
- The "Fed will not taper because of stronger growth," tweets a resigned Bill Gross (BOND). "They will taper because of fear of asset bubbles." Bubbly fixed income markets are detailed here.
- The 10-year Treasury remains near the YTD high at 2.70%. TLT +0.1%.
- Other long-term Treasury ETFs: TLH, IEF, DTYL, DLBL, ILTB, TENZ, ITE, TLO, EDV, VGIT, VGLT, TMF, TYD, LBND, UBT, UST, TMV, TYO, DSTJ, DSXJ, SBND, PST, TBT, DTYS, DLBS, TBF, TTT, TYNS, TYBS, TBX.
- Shorter-duration Treasury ETFs: SHY, SHV, IEI, BIL, TUZ, FIVZ, DTUL, VGSH, DTUS, DFVS, DFVL, SST, ISTB, TBZ.