real-time news and commentary for investors
Monday, Aug 19
3D printing stocks higher following CNBC report
- Stratasys (SSYS +7.1%) and ExOne (XONE +3.6%) are posting big gains, and 3D Systems (DDD +1.6%) and Proto Labs (PRLB +2.4%) smaller ones, following a favorable CNBC special on the industry's growth prospects.
- Among other things, CNBC noted the industry grew 29% last year to $2.2B (per research firm Wohlers), that 3D printing now makes up 28% of additive manufacturing work (up from virtually nothing 10 years ago), and that China plans to spend $242M over 7 years on a 3D printing research initiative.
- CNBC also notes there's plenty of competition: about 30 companies sell additive manufacturing systems for industrial use, and European firms such as EOS, Concept Lazer, and Arcam lead the way in the metal printing space.
- Shares are rising on what's proving a good day for momentum stocks. Tesla, Green Mountain Coffee, and Chinese Internet stocks are also registering solid gains.
- Previous: WSJ 3D printing write-up