real-time news and commentary for investors
Tuesday, Aug 20
Microsoft outlines Xbox One's game lineup
- 23 titles have been lined up thus far for the Xbox One's (MSFT +0.9%) Nov. launch. They include several games from popular Electronic Arts (EA +2.6%) franchises, including Battlefield 4, Madden NFL 25, Need for Speed: Rivals, and FIFA 14, and (as expected) a number of Microsoft Studios titles.
- Activision's (ATVI -0.3%) Call of Duty: Ghosts and Skylanders: Swap Force will also be available at launch time.
- Microsoft states 38% of the titles (presumably including all of the Microsoft Studios titles) are exclusive to the One, 37% are brand-new, and 44% will include "timed or exclusive content."
- After going through the titles, Forbes' Paul Tassi thinks "Microsoft has a pretty solid line-up," even if many of the most popular titles won't be exclusives.
- Microsoft has also announced a platform that will allow "qualified" indie developers to self-publish titles via Xbox Live.
- The software giant is still smarting a bit from the backlash triggered by planned used game restrictions and online verification requirements for the One, even though its about-face on the matter did much to calm tensions.