real-time news and commentary for investors
Tuesday, Aug 20
PS4 pre-orders top 1M; Sony announces 2013 titles, upgrade promo
- Sony (SNE +0.1%) exec Andrew House says PlayStation 4 pre-orders have topped 1M. The company unveiled the console back on Feb. 20.
- While the PS4 will go on sale in North America on Nov. 15, European sales won't start until Nov. 29.
- The PS4 will support 33 games by year's end. 15 of the titles, including major releases such as Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, Assassin's Creed Black Flag, and Call of Duty: Ghosts, will be available both via disc and download. The other 18 will be download-only. The Xbox One's launch lineup was announced earlier today.
- To convince PS3 users to upgrade (and give a lift to a weak console hardware market), Sony says it will offer "significantly discounted" digital copies of PS4 titles to gamers who have already bought the PS3 versions.
- Sony also discloses gamers will be able to broadcast their gameplay simply by pressing a "share" button on their controllers, thanks to a partnership with streaming service Twitch.
- Previous: PS4 launch date, PS Vita price cut