real-time news and commentary for investors
Monday, Aug 26
Kass: Housing has blown up
- "Could there be more evidence in a single day that housing blew up on the rate 'surge' catalyst," asks Doug Kass following Friday's dive in new home sales and word American Homes 4 Rent has cut about 15% of its workforce.
- Hedge funds, P-E firms, and REITs have raised more than $18B to purchase over 100K homes the last two years and - if AMH is any indication - find themselves with a lot more property than they can profitably rent out. It's more than an issue for the companies and their investors - one wonders how much of this unprofitable (and apparently about to slow) activity has boosted the housing stats.
- Other stocks of interest include Silver Bay (SBY) and American Residential Properties (ARPI).
- Housing construction ETFs: XHB, ITB, PKB.
- Homebuilders of note: KBH, DHI, PHM, LEN, RYL, TOL.