real-time news and commentary for investors
Wednesday, Aug 28
Energy, gold stocks among sector leaders as Syria weighs
- Energy stocks (XLE +1.9%) lead the way this session as West Texas crude tests $110, with tensions over Syria continuing to feed Middle East supply concerns; Syria concerns and Libyan export cuts are trumping the bearish influence from a surprise gain for U.S. crude supplies.
- Among sector leaders: MRO +3.3%, EOG +3.1%, CVX +2.5%, TOT +2.4%, WLL +2.4%, APC +2.2%, RDS.A +2.1%, XOM +2.1%, HAL +2%, SLB +2%, COP +1.8%, PSX +1.7%, BP +1.6%, APA +1.6%, HES +1.5%, KOG +1.3%.
- ETFs: ERX, VDE, DIG, IEO, IEZ, IYE, PXE, PXI, XES, XOP, RYE, FXN, OIH, PXJ, PSCE, ERY, DUG, DDG, FRAK.
- After big losses yesterday, gold miners (GDX +2.4%) are strong today despite only a slight gain in the metal.
- Miners: ABX +3.6%, GG +3.2%, NEM +2.2%, KGC +2%, SLW +2%, GFI +1.2%.