real-time news and commentary for investors
Tuesday, Sep 3
- U.S. stock futures are solidly higher as investors return from the long Labor Day weekend, with equities supported by President Obama's decision to seek Congressional approval for an attack on Syria, which should delay any action until next week at least.
- Strong PMI readings in Europe and China are also boosting sentiment.
- Dow +0.7%. S&P +0.9%. Nasdaq +0.8%.
- Nokia surges 41% on news it's selling its soul to Microsoft, which is -4.9%.
- Vodafone is -1.7% on investor disappointment at the payout they'll receive from the sale of the company's 45% stake in Verizon Wireless for $130B. Verizon Communications shareholders seem to be even more upset and the stock is -4.2%.
- Later: ISM Manufacturing Index, Construction Spending