real-time news and commentary for investors
Wednesday, Sep 4
Rising drumbeat for action against Syria weighs on stocks
- Asian shares are mixed and European stocks are lower as the likelihood of military action against Syria - by the U.S. at least - increases after President Obama received support for intervention from key Republicans in Congress.
- Vladimir Putin saying he won't rule out military action might also be adding to the mood, although one Russian expert doesn't believe that the comments represent a change in stance.
- Japan +0.5%, Hong Kong -0.3%, China +0.2%, India +1.6%.
- EU Stoxx 50 -0.6%,London -0.5%, Paris -0.6%, Frankfurt -0.4%, Milan -1.6%, Madrid -0.5%.
- U.S. stock futures: Dow -0.1%, S&P -0.05%, Nasdaq flat.