real-time news and commentary for investors
Thursday, Sep 5
Financials lead rally in India as Rajan impresses
- For a second straight day, Indian stocks rise sharply — Sensex +2.2% — with banks leading the way, as new RBI governor Raghuram Rajan has apparently managed to instill some confidence in the market. (previous)
- In addition to the creation of inflation indexed savings certificates and the issuance of long-awaited new banking licenses, Rajan will open FX swap lines between banks and the RBI (see diagram) a move BofA says may boost the country's flagging reserves by $10B.
- "This is exactly what the market wanted to hear," one Mumbai-based banker says. Apparently so — shares of India's largest lender HDFC Bank (HDB +7.1%) rose 8% Thursday, fueling what Bloomberg says was the largest rally in the S&P BSE India Bankex index in four years.
- The WisdomTree India Earnings Fund (EPI +1.8%), ICICI Bank (IBN +12.3%), The WisdomTree Indian Rupee Fund (ICN +0.3%).
- Other ETFs: INDY, EPI, PIN, INP, INDA, INXX, SCIF, SCIN, INDL, SMIN, INR.