real-time news and commentary for investors
Wednesday, Sep 11
Refinancing at lowest level since June 2009
- The 13.5% plunge in mortgage applications last week was adjusted to reflect the Labor Day holiday.
- The Refinance Index dove 20%, now off 71% from the May peak, and at the lowest level since June 2009. The Purchase Index dipped 3%.
- The average contract rate for a 30-year fixed mortgage rose 7 bps to 4.80%, with points increasing to 0.46 from 0.33.
- Amid numerous investor presentations by the banks this week, nearly all have warned about ugly Q3 mortgage production (and gain on sale) numbers coming up. Regional players like MTB, BBT, ZION, HBAN, as well as larger names like WFC and JPM will take note.
- ETFs of note: XLF, IYF, PFI, VFH, RYF, RWW, FAS, UYG, FAZ, SKF, SEF, IAI, FXO, PSCF, KBWD, KBWB, IYG, FINU, FINZ, KBE.