real-time news and commentary for investors
Friday, Sep 13
EU stocks on the slide
- European shares are solidly lower heading into the weekend, with the mood possibly dampened by a Nikkei report that QE skeptic Larry Summers is set to be named as Chairman of the Fed, although it's worth noting that U.S. stock futures are only flat to slightly lower.
- Given that the report is coming from Japan, doubts about its veracity exist. "You have to wonder just how credible it is. I mean it would be understandable if the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal were reporting this," says one trader.
- Investors may also be positioning themselves for a FOMC meeting next week, when the Fed could start tapering.
- EU Stoxx 50 -0.3%, London -0.3%, Paris -0.1%, Frankfurt -0.3%, Milan -0.2%, Madrid -0.5%.
- Dow futures -0.05%. S&P -0.15%. Nasdaq flat.
- EU ETFs - EZU, VGK, FEZ, EPV, IEV, ADRU, FEP, FDD, UPV, EPV, DFE, FEU, FEEU.