real-time news and commentary for investors
Monday, Sep 16
Packaging Corporation to buy Boise at 23% premium
- Packaging Corporation of America (PKG) agrees to acquire Boise (BZ) for $12.55 per share in cash, or nearly $2B. The sale is expected to close in Q4, subject to certain customary conditions and regulatory approval.
- PCA's containerboard capacity will increase to 3.7M tons from the current 2.6M and PCA will now have a market presence in the Pacific Northwest.
- Synergies are expected to generate pre-tax benefits of $105M, to be fully realized within 3 years of the closing, according to PCA management.
- Boise shareholders are getting 5x LTM EBITDA for their stock.
- BZ closed at $9.96 Friday evening, making the purchase price a 26% premium.
- Press release.