real-time news and commentary for investors
Friday, Sep 20
Verizon enables mobile FiOS viewing, launches Android/iPhone apps
- Verizon (VZ) FiOS TV subs will now be able to use mobile apps to watch certain TV channels away from home. In addition, Android and iPhone FiOS apps have been launched to complement an existing iPad FiOS app (launched last November) that, until now, only supported TV streaming on home Wi-Fi networks.
- Initially, mobile viewing is supported for just 9 channels, as compared with the 76 supported for home Wi-Fi viewing. They include BBC America and World, EPIX, the NFL Network (iPad-only), HGTV, and the Food Network. Verizon promises to add more channels/content later this year, and in 2014.
- Verizon is also integrating features found in its FiOS Mobile Remote and Verizon Media Manager apps, so as to provide an integrated experience. Big Red had 5M FiOS TV subs at the end of Q2; the service passes 18M households.
- Several Verizon rivals, including Comcast and Time Warner Cable, also offer access to some channels away from home.
- Previous: Verizon strikes NFL Mobile extension