real-time news and commentary for investors
Tuesday, Sep 24
Non-agency REITS the way to go, says Maxim
- The mREIT (REM -0.5%) environment has turned favorable, says Maxim's Michael Diana, but non-agency players are his favorites due to less leverage and exposure to higher home prices. His favorite picks:
- Ellington Financial (EFC +1.2%) - a non-REIT which gives it "the ability to hedge and trade on an unrestricted basis [and profit from] volatility." His target price is $28 (Ellington Residential EARN is the REIT version).
- Two Harbors (TWO -0.3%) - “due to substantial non-Agency and hedging expertise, as well as diversification.” The price target is $11.50.
- American Capital Mortgage (MTGE +1.2%) - price target $25.
- Eleven mREITs have cut their dividends this quarter, but pricing below book value still leaves yields high - 13.9% average for agency REITs, and 13.1% for hybrids.
- Other buy-rated mREITs at Maxim: AMTG, DX, AGNC. Hold-rated: MITT, ARR, HTS, JMI.
- Related ETFs: MORT, MORL.