real-time news and commentary for investors
Wednesday, Sep 25
Reports: 6 or more Nokia devices due in Oct., Surface Mini in 2014
- Sources tell The Verge (pretty good with Nokia/Microsoft scoops in the past) an Oct. 22 Nokia (NOK) Abu Dhabi event will feature "the launch of at least six new devices ... including at least two new Lumias." New accessories will also be launched, one of which is said to be "pretty special."
- One of those Lumias will almost certainly be the 6" Lumia 1520, whose launch has reportedly been pushed back from September thanks to activity related to Microsoft's (MSFT) pending acquisition of Nokia's phone unit. The Verge thinks Nokia's Windows RT tablet, now believed to be called the Lumia 2520, could be the other device.
- Meanwhile, a reliable source tells ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley Microsoft plans to launch a Surface Mini Windows RT tablet in early 2014. The launch will reportedly coincide with a Windows 8.1 update codenamed Spring 2014 GDR. Windows 8.1 proper launches on Oct. 17.
- With the newly-launched Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 sporting 10.6" displays, Microsoft still needs a smaller tablet to address a booming market for sub-8" tablets (where Android rules the roost). But is opting for Windows RT over standard Windows a smart move in light of this year's events?
- Dell just stopped selling its XPS 10 RT tablet. As BI observes, that leaves Microsoft the only RT tablet maker for now.