real-time news and commentary for investors
Monday, Sep 30
U.S., Italian political turmoil sends shares tumbling
- Equities are lower in most places around the world as the U.S. government heads for a shutdown at midnight tonight and Italy's government faces collapse.
- However, European shares remain near five-year highs and are on course for their best quarter in two years.
- Japan -2.1% to 14455.8. Hong Kong -1.5% to 22860. China +0.7%, India -1.3%.
- EU Stoxx 50 -0.8%, London -0.8%, Paris -0.9%, Frankfurt -1%, Milan -1.6%, Madrid -1%.
- U.S. futures: Dow -0.7%. S&P -0.7%. Nasdaq -0.5%
- ETFs: EFA, IEFA, VEA, ADRD, MFLA, EFO, EFU, PDN, PIZ, EFZ, PXF, EFG, EFV, DZK, DPK, IDLV, DTH, DWM, URTH, FDTS, EZU, VGK, FEZ, EPV, IEV, ADRU, FEP, FDD, UPV, EPV, DFE, FEU, FEEU, ADRA, AIA, VPL, ASDR, AAXJ, AXJS, EPP, GMF, GMFS, AXJL, UXJ, JPX, PAF, ASEA, EEMA, DVY