real-time news and commentary for investors
Tuesday, Oct 1
Fitch says gold rebound unlikely, gold miners in broad plunge
- Fitch is calling a gold rebound unlikely and saying that it no longer believes in a $1,200 gold price floor, and as a result expects gold producers to reassess their dividend policies.
- Fitch thinks gold at $1,000/oz. would put the ratings of some gold miners under significant pressure if no serious cost cutting and cash conservation measures are taken.
- Recall that Barrick Gold (ABX -3.2%) cut its last dividend to $0.05 from $0.20, Kinross Gold (KGC -2.5%) suspended its dividend over the summer, and Gold Fields (GFI -3.2%) said in August it would not declare an interim dividend.
- Also: NEM -3.7%, SLW -3.4%, GG -3%, AU -3% AUY -2.9%, CDE -2.4%, IAG -2.3%, AUQ -2.1%, HMY -1.7%, NGD -1.5%.
- ETFs: GDX, GDXJ, GLDX, PSAU, NUGT, DUST, GGGG, RING, GLD, IAU, SGOL, PHYS, AGOL, DGL, UBG, DGP, UGL, DZZ, GLL, DGZ, UGLD, DGLD, GLDI.