real-time news and commentary for investors
Thursday, Oct 3
How the shutdown is affecting the economy
- The National Retail Federation expects sales during the November-December holiday shopping period to increase 3.9% to $602.1B, with growth accelerating from 3.5% last year. However, says the NRF, a prolonged government shutdown could hurt consumer sentiment and harm sales.
- Retail ETFs: RTH, PMR, XRT, RETL, XLP, VDC, FXG, IYK, PSL, RHS, PSCC, UGE, SZK, XLY, VCR, FXD, IYC, PEZ, RCD, PSCD, UCC, SCC.
- Boeing (BA) has warned that deliveries of some jets could be postponed, as the FAA officials who need to approve the planes before they're handed over to customers have been furloughed. Airbus has already delayed the delivery of an A321 to JetBlue.
- The closure is hurting small businesses that rely on federal agencies to operate or that were trying to secure government-backed loans.
- How the shutdown is affecting United Technologies and USEC.