real-time news and commentary for investors
Friday, Oct 4
Biogen MS drug stays effective over long term
- Biogen Idec's (BIIB) Tecfidera multiple sclerosis treatment was effective in patients for at least four years in two long-term studies.
- Tecfidera lowered disease activity as measured by relapses and the progression of MS in patients, with subjects experiencing a low frequency of new MS brain lesions.
- There were also no new safety issues, with no increased risk of serious infections, cancers, kidney dysfunction or liver problems.
- Tecfidera is expected to dominate the MS market and clocked up sales of $192M in Q1.
- Biogen shares appear to be inactive premarket, as are those of rival Teva (TEVA). (PR)