real-time news and commentary for investors
Friday, Oct 4
Google, Nokia smartwatches reportedly set to launch
- Android Police's Artem Russakovskii reports hearing Google (GOOG -0.3%) will "announce a Nexus watch," likely in tandem with the unveiling of Android 4.4 (KitKat). Russakovskii previously reported an Android 4.4 event will launch on Oct. 31.
- There have already been multiple reports of a Google smartwatch project being underway, but product details have been limited.
- Meanwhile, a Chinese site has leaked two pictures of a device said to be a Nokia smartwatch. However, neither picture shows the watch's display, never mind its software/UI.
- A source told The Verge last month Nokia will launch new accessories (to go with 6+ devices) at an Oct. 22 event, and that one of them will be "pretty special."
- Microsoft (MSFT -0.5%), which will soon be taking possession of Nokia's Devices & Services unit, was reported in July to have built a smartwatch prototype of its own.
- The latest reports come as Samsung begins shipping its Galaxy Gear smartwatch to harsh reviews. Apple's much-rumored iWatch might see a 2H14 launch.