real-time news and commentary for investors
Monday, Oct 7
Boehner ties budget, debt cap legislation to cutting deficit
- House Speaker John Boehner won't introduce bills to finance the federal government - and therefore reopen it - or to raise the debt limit unless Democrats agree to "a serious conversation" about cutting the deficit.
- Boehner told ABC News that he doesn't have the votes to pass legislation that doesn't include concessions.
- Boehner also said that the U.S. is on "the path" to a debt default, a stance that is in contrast to reports last week saying he wouldn't let such an event occur.
- President Barack Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid have repeatedly said that they won't negotiate over the budget or the debt cap, the deadline for which is ten days away.
- Some Republicans have reached out across the aisle as they look to break the impasse.
- Boehner interview transcript