real-time news and commentary for investors
Wednesday, Oct 9
It's solar's turn to fall
- A day after Internet stocks with big 2013 gains tumbled as part of a general rout in risk assets, solar stocks are largely doing the same (TAN -3.2%).
- Notable decliners include JA Solar (JASO -6.5%), JinkoSolar (JKS -5.6%), First Solar (FSLR -2%), SunPower (SPWR -2.2%), ReneSola (SOL -3.7%), Yingli (YGE -3.9%), Trina (TSL -2.2%), SunEdison (SUNE -0.4%), and Canadian Solar (CSIQ -4.6%).
- SolarCity (SCTY -4.7%) is following peers lower on a day when it announced the $158M acquisition of mounting systems supplier Zep Solar. Shares outperformed yesterday following the singing of a California solar bill.
- Suntech (STP -3.5%) has given up the premarket gains it saw on news two Chinese solar cell makers have made bids for the company.
- Debt-laden LDK (LDK +4.6%), which has missed out on this year's big solar rally, is bucking the trend.